Care of the Late Preterm Newborn
7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Blank Children's Hospital
Education and Research Center, ERC 5
1415 Woodland Avenue, Des Moines
Registered Nurses and interested healthcare providers providing care for newborns.
To enable the learner to apply knowledge of patient care needs to provide safe care of the late preterm newborn.
- Describe the unique characteristics of the late preterm infant.
- Discuss the increased risk for short and long term outcomes for this patient population.
- Review risk factors and pathophysiology contributing to the late preterm newborn's increased risk of hypothermia, hypoglycemia, hyperbilirubinemia, respiratory distress, and infection.
- Review individualized care strategies to promote positive breast and bottle feeding outcomes.
- List five behavioral feeding cues associated with feeding.
- Discuss patient education and discharge preparation for the late preterm newborn.
Continuing Education Credit:
This program has been approved for 3.25 contact hour(s) for full attendance by Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #31, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
For non UnityPoint Health - Des Moines employees, please click on "register now" above and pay $30 registration fee with a credit card. For questions, please contact
Blank Children's Hospital reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or inclement weather. In this event, you will be notified and your entire registration fee refunded.
No refunds for cancellations less than 5 business days prior to the course.
Sarah Copple – Clinical education Specialist – Maternity Services
Sarah.Copple@unitypoint.org or by phone 515.241.6885