The Newborn Care Class is a two hour class that helps expectant parents learn basic caring tecniques for a newborn during the first six weeks. During class you will watch videos and discuss common care techniques for bathing, diapering, umbilical cord care, etc. You will also have the opportunity for interactive practice during class. CPR is not included in this class, we recommend for you to take a CPR class locally.
Newborn Care Classes are held at Iowa Methodist, Methodist West Hospital and Iowa Lutheran Hospital - Please take note of location when registering.
Please note: The Woodland Avenue entrance will be locked.
- Classes at Iowa Methodist are held in the Education & Research Center (ERC) - located on the ground level of the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage. The Iowa Methodist Parking Garage is located on the west side of the Iowa Methodist Campus, on the corner of Pleasant St. and 14th Place. We recommend parking in the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage and taking the South parking garage elevators to the Ground Level. After exiting the elevator, you will be in the ERC. View Maps & Directions: Iowa Methodist Campus and Education & Research Center (ERC)
- Classes at Methodist West are held in the Conference Center - The Conference Center entrance is located on the West side of the hospital (back side of the hospital), use the Short Term Parking areas or employee parking spots. View Maps & Directions: Methodist West Campus
- Classes at Iowa Lutheran Hospital are held in Dining Room A/B or Conference Room 1 - Dining Room A/B is located past the Cafeteria on Level B. Use main entrance and proceed down hallway past the Family Library, take elevators to Level B, take a left off the elevators and continue past the Cafeteria. Dining Room A/B is on the right. Conference Room 1 is located on the main floor, past both both sets of elevators. View Maps & Directions: Iowa Lutheran Hospital
Click on the Register Now button above to register for an upcoming class - registration must be completed online.
Be sure to stay updated on UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Pregnancy and Maternity by liking our Facebook Page!
- If you're needing to cancel a class or need further assistance please call 515.241.6763.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment, if this should happen you will be notified by email or phone one week in advance and given the opportunity to register for the next available classes.
- For cancelations due to inclement weather, please tune into your local TV or Radio stations. Cancelations will also be posted on our website at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines - You will also receive notification if your class is cancelled by phone/ email