Purpose & Intended Audience:
To enable Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization (PEARS) providers to apply the skills necessary to become an instructor of PEARS courses.
- Before registering for this course, contact Jessica Dinh to ensure eligibility at Jessica.Dinh@unitypoint.org or 515-241-3537.
- Provide proof of current American Heart Association (AHA) PEARS or PALS Provider status.
- Willingness to teach a minimum of 4 courses in a 2 year period.
- Complete all pre-requisite forms: registration form, instructor candidate form, alignment form, and 1 letter of recommendation from your administration. These items must be emailed to Jessica Dinh at Jessica.Dinh@unitypoint.org.
Part 1: PEARS Instructor Essentials
- PEARS Instructor Essentials Course: this online program will be completed at participants own pace (approx. 1.5 hours). The access code to this program will be given to participant after the information above is received. Once completed, the certificate at the end of the program needs to be printed as proof of completion.
- Upon completion of Part 1, email the PEARS Instructor Essentials Certificate to Jessica Dinh. This is to be completed and received at least 2 weeks prior to the course date.
Part 2: PEARS Instructor Course
Participants will also be renewing their PEARS Provider status during the course.
The following items are required to be completed successfully...
*Please note, skills testing will be done at the beginning of the course, attendees who are not successful will not be able to continue with the course.
- Child and Infant BLS check-off
- Demonstrate competency in PEARS core concepts during case simulations
- Minimum of 84% on PEARS Provider Exam
- Minimum of 84% on PEARS Instructor Exam
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Describe the core competencies of an AHA PEARS instructor.
- Identify resources available to an AHA instructor.
- Describe how to use pediatric specific AHA instructor materials.
- Demonstrate effective feedback and remediation techniques.
Registration includes a PEARS Instructor Manual (a PEARS Provider manual is not included but is required for the course), nursing contact hours and an American Heart Association PALS Instructor Card. Lunch is on your own.
*A 2015 AHA PEARS Provider Manual is required. You may purchase this paperback book from any supplier you wish. Below are a few options:
AHA PALS/PEARS Training Center Faculty
- Nurses: 7 Nursing Contact Hours approved by Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #31, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
- Up to 1.25 hour(s) of CME/CE/CEH credits offered through AHA for completion of the online PALS Instructor Essentials.
The American Heart Association will issue a card verifying the successful completion of the PALS Instructor Course after all requirements are met. Renewal is required every 2 years to maintain instructor status.
Part 3: Monitoring
- At the completion of the PEARS Instructor Course, participants will be scheduled to teach a course at Blank Children's Hospital in Des Moines to be monitored by Training Center Faculty. This must be completed before instructors can teach independently.
- Monitoring is usually completed within 90 days, but must be completed within 6 months.
- There is no charge for monitoring at Blank Children's Hospital.
- There is a $200 charge for monitoring at any other site/facility.
Blank Children's Hospital
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
The class will take place in the Anna Blank Conference Room 2 (Center for Advocacy and Outreach). This is located on the Lower Level of the Anna Blank Building.
- A processing fee of $30 plus the cost of the manual will be retained for cancellation less than 14 business days prior to the course.
- Blank Children's Hospital has the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment. If this occurs, participant's entire registration fee will be refunded.
- Courses cancelled due to adverse weather conditions will be rescheduled. Participants will be granted a refund if there is a conflict with the new date.
Please contact Jessica Dinh at Jessica.Dinh@unitypoint.org or at 515-241-3537