PIAC Case Series
Case 05 - Clora, 10 Years Old
Cora is a 10 y/o who resides in a long term care facility. She was hospitalized with pneumonia and ileus 3 weeks ago and has made a slow recovery. You have just completed the transfer orders when you are called with fever.
She has received no antibiotics for the past 9 days and there is no indwelling line or foley. She has had 3 loose stools; Stool for C diff is ordered.
1) Is a + C diff test sufficient to confirm a diagnosis of C. difficile disease?
2) What measures can be taken to prevent spread of C diff?
- What are the risk factors for C diff disease?
- When can contact precautions be discontinued?
- What can YOU do to prevent C diff?