PIAC Case Series
Case 02 - David, 4 Years Old
David is a 4 year old with developmental delay who required abdominal surgery for volvulus.
- He has not tolerated oral/enteral nutrition and has received TPN. On post-op day 6 he develops T=38.8 and WBC=15K
- The following day 2 of 2 blood cultures are positive for gm + cocci
1) How is a central-line associated bloodstream infection (CLA-BSI) diagnosed?
2) What organisms in blood culture are possible contaminants? Which organisms should definitely not be considered contaminants?
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Staphylococcus epidermidis (CONS)
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Bacillus species
- Candida albicans
3) What measures are undertaken to prevent CLA-BSI?