Mental Health Internship Overview
Students completing this internship will develop knowledge and skills aligned with the educational program they are enrolled in. Bachelor's students will gain exposure to the Mental Health field, while Master's student will be able to provide proficient, confident and compassionate mental health related care in acute and/or ambulatory healthcare environments. All students will work with patients as vital members of the healthcare team. Students will develop skills in the mental health/social work fields and will gain real-world experience. They will advance their awareness and knowledge of best practices in the field, observe professionals from various disciplines while developing confidence and independence in their own skills. Experience gained during the internship will prepare students for the next steps in their academic training or to pursue a variety of interests after graduation.
Meet Our UPH Field Instructors
Megan Simpson, LISW
Whitni Warnke, LMSW
Lynley Wolfe, LISW
Mikki Stimson, LISW
Kevin Carroll, LMFT
Amy Oehlert, LMHC
Marisa Mickunas, LMHC
Colton Moore, LMHC
Nancy Eis, LMHC
Heidi Nettrour, LISW
For Perspective Interns
- Intern candidates must possess a high school diploma and be currently enrolled in a Social Work or Mental Health Counseling program en route to earning a Bachelor or Master's degree.
- Intern candidates must be enrolled in coursework that requires an "internship".
- Intern candidates shall meet all other pre-employment requirements for UnityPoint Health-Des Moines including, but not limited to, a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
The deadline for receipt of all application materials is March 1 (for internships to occur in the following academic year). Virtual and/or in-person interviews will be scheduled in March/April . All decision will be made and communicated by May 1.
Practice Site Overview
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is a community health system that incorporates hospitals and clinics to provide care for patients based in the Des Moines area. UnityPoint Health prioritizes coordinated, innovative health care while optimizing the patient experience.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Iowa Methodist Medical Center is a 450 bed comprehensive medical center and teaching hospital located in Des Moines, Iowa. As a teaching hospital, Iowa Methodist Medical Center offers a variety of programs for new health care professionals including medical, pharmacy, podiatry and nursing residency programs.
Blank Children's Hospital
Blank Children's Hospital is a stand-alone pediatric hospital located on the same campus as Iowa Methodist Medical Center. It offers neonatal and pediatric intensive care, pediatric hematology/oncology services as well as general pediatric care.
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital is a community hospital located in Des Moines, Iowa. The hospital specializes in cardiovascular care, maternity and women's services, emergency treatment, chemical dependency treatment, behavioral medicine, general surgery, orthopedics, critical care and older adult services.
UnityPoint Clinic operates over 40 primary care and specialty care clinics in the Greater Des Moines area.
Behavioral Health Services
Student Interns arrange placement at one or more of the following departments:
- Behavioral Health Urgent Care Clinic
- Lakeview Counseling and Psych Clinic in WDM
- Inpatient Mental Health (Gero, Adult and Peds) at Lutheran
- Outpatient Mental Health Programs (Adult, Child, Adolescent) at Lutheran
- Powell Chemical Dependency Center at Iowa Lutheran
- Care Management
- Blank Children's (Hospitals and Clinics)
- Iowa Methodist (areas include Emergency, Critical Care, and medical/surgical units)
Compensation and Benefits
All internships are currently unpaid.