UnityPoint Clinic surgeons offer a wide spectrum of procedures and surgical treatment options. Depending on the type of surgery needed, our UnityPoint Clinic surgical team will create a customized care and recovery plan that is right for you.
What Does a Surgeon Do?
Before an operation, your surgeon will perform a physical examination and create an action plan for the procedure. Surgeons perform the operation with a team of other surgeons when necessary including assistants, nurses and anesthesiologists depending on the complexity of the surgery. After the surgery is complete, the surgeon and care team provide postoperative care to ensure a safe and healthy recovery.
When Do You Need Surgery?
Surgery is a last resort after medication, therapy, other treatments that do not help, or if no other treatment options are available.
- Surgery is necessary: If you have tried medication, as well as other treatment options and still have severe pain or complications where your quality of life suffers, surgery may be the necessary step. Progressive diseases like cancer or bone and joint deterioration may need immediate action to try and protect the rest of the body from further damage.
- No other treatments available: For some conditions, like appendicitis or a hernia, surgery is the only treatment option.
- Balancing quality of life and surgery: For most people, surgery is an elective choice that both you and your doctor make together. Comparing your current quality of life to the potentially enhanced quality of life surgery could bring, may lead you to consider surgical options to improve your life.
What are the Different Types of Surgery?
There is a broad spectrum of specialties in surgery. There are also different circumstances and needs for each surgery, from preventative to life-saving procedures. Here are the different categories of surgery:
- Elective surgery is scheduled in advance because there is no immediate threat to life.
- Emergency surgery, like an appendectomy, is performed when a medical condition is life-threatening.
- Exploratory surgery is used as a diagnostic method by doctors to find a diagnosis for a medical condition.
- Reconstructive surgery is used to restore the original function to the body and usually occurs after some trauma has been afflicted.
- Cosmetic surgery is an optional surgery where the goal is to improve the appearance of the patient.
- Transplant surgery can be done either artificially or through a donor. It consists of replacing a malfunctioning organ with a higher functioning organ.
Benefits of UnityPoint Clinic Surgeons
The knowledgeable surgeons at UnityPoint Clinic are trained on the most up-to-date practices and technologies to make sure your procedure is as safe as possible. We offer a wide range of surgery options from general surgeries such as abdominal hernia repairs to more advanced surgeries such as brain aneurysm repair. Our surgical specialists create custom care and recovery plans to help meet your goals to maximize your quality of life.