St. Luke's Interventional Pain Clinic
Living with pain can be disruptive to every aspect of your life. At UnityPoint Health – St. Luke's Hospital Interventional Pain Services, our doctors can help you:
- Reduce your pain and its severity
- Increase your activities at home and work
- Improve your quality of life
Our doctors are anesthesiologists, board certified in pain management, who will review your doctor's notes, x-ray results and complete a physical assessment. Patients who need interventional pain services suffer distress and discomfort caused by a variety of conditions including:
- Chronic lower back and neck pain
- Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Chronic head and face pain
- Pain caused by cancer
- Muscle and/or bone pain
- Painful neuropathy
There are a variety of minimally invasive treatment options available. Our doctors will discuss options with you. Some options include:
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet injections
- Trigger point injections
- Occipital nerve block
- Radiofrequency lesioning
- Sacroiliac join injection
- Spinal cord stimulation trial
You will need a referral from your doctor for your initial visit. Please arrive one hour prior to your scheduled procedure to complete pre-procedure paperwork and update your medical record. The length of your visit is approximately two hours depending on your procedure. You will receive a courtesy call three days before your appointment to remind you of the need for a driver, fluids and diet restrictions and medication instructions for the day of your procedure.
Please park in the West Parking structure to the west of the hospital. Enter and register at the West Desk inside the revolving door near the Emergency Room. Take A elevators to 5th floor, Suite 5000. To reach us please call (319) 369-8204. Free valet parking is available from 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Instructions Prior to Your Visit
- You may have clear liquids until 3 hours prior to your procedure and solid food until 6 hours prior to your procedure.
- Clear liquids are are see through such as water, coffee without creamer, apple juice or jello.
- Plan for your appointment to last two hours from start to finish.
- Arrive at the time instructed during the scheduling process. Enter St. Luke's at the Emergency Entrance (revolving door) and check in at the registration desk each time you visit us.
- If you have been sick, running a fever, have a productive cough, have a urinary tract infection, any open wound or are on an antibiotic for any reason please consult with an Interventional Pain Clinic nurse prior to your appointment by calling (319) 369-8204.
- If you are taking a blood thinner (ex. Coumadin, aspirin, Excedrin) and have not been instructed on when to stop it prior to your procedure please call an Interventional Pain Clinic nurse prior to your appointment at (319) 369-8204.
- If you are a diabetic and have not been instructed on your diabetic medications prior to the procedure please call (319) 369-8204 prior to your procedure for instruction.
- You must have a driver with you to drive you home if you have a procedure.
If you'd like more information on the Pain Clinic, please call (319) 369-8204.