Proper Protocol for Meeting a Newborn - The Dos and Don'ts
August 3, 2016
I have a few friends who recently had a baby or are expecting and for that reason, I give you the dos and don’ts for meeting a newborn.
Some of these might seem rash, but hey, so are new hormonal mamas!
10 Dos and Don’ts
1. Don’t overstay your welcome
2. Don’t expect to be fed
3. Don’t take the new baby out of the new mom’s arms; let the mom ask if you’d like to hold the baby
4. Don’t feel obligated to get the new baby’s sibling a gift. No gift is necessary for anyone, I promise
5. Don’t say “he/she has to eat again?! “when the mom takes baby for feeding (even bottle feeding).
6. Give them privacy and offer to prep the mom something to eat and drink while they are feeding baby. A lot of times the mom is last to eat because they are too busy caring for others
7. Don’t offer to do the dishes, just get up and start doing them (and the laundry while you’re at it!)
8. Bring a prepared frozen meal or a pizza delivery gift card. We’ll take that over a new outfit any day! If you really want to give the baby a gift, get them a cute baby book and write a sweet message inside the cover. We love that sentimental stuff and they can’t grow out of it!
9. Show up with coffee! Wait, that one might only pertain to me, ha!
10. Come meet the baby! I have listed off a number of things to do and not to do. But at the end of the day, the new mom’s want visitors at their home and at the hospital. We want to share the excitement with our family and friends. Most importantly, we want our new baby showered with love.
I hope this post didn’t offend anyone or seem a little out of line… AND if I missed a few suggestions feel free to leave a comment.