St. Luke's Heart Saver Program
The application for St. Luke's Heart Saver program is now closed.
Recipients of the 50 automated external defibrillators (AEDs) and 100 Stop the Bleed trauma first aid kits will be announced in February 2023, during Heart Month.
As the area's nationally recognized leader in heart care, St. Luke's Heart Saver Grant Program is an effort to place critically needed AEDs and trauma first aid kits into the community, to save lives through early intervention of cardiac arrest and traumatic injuries.
Through the generosity of St. Luke's Foundation, St. Luke's Heart Saver Grant Program will award:
- 50 eligible organizations with one Zoll Automated External Defibrillator (AED) with a Display Case and Signage.
- 100 eligible organizations with one STOP THE BLEED® KIT Case.
- CPR, First Aid and/or AED Training, if needed.
The use of an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) can literally mean the difference between life and death. Seventy (70) percent of cardiac arrests happen outside of a hospital. A staggering 70 to 90 percent of individuals with an out-of-hospital cardiac arrest die before reaching the hospital. In order to be prepared for these types of medical emergencies, having an AED on site as well as trained individuals who can use the device is critical. Nine in 10 cardiac arrest victims who receive a shock from an AED in the first minute live.
In the event of a traumatic injury, a person can die from blood loss within minutes. STOP THE BLEED® is part of a national movement to educate and arm bystanders with the items needed to address a life-threatening bleeding emergency before professional help arrives.
Grant Application Deadline: CLOSED December 12, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
Award Date: February 2023
Amount of Funding
St. Luke's has purchased the AEDs and STOP THE BLEED ® KITS so the applicant will not need to purchase the items. Items available through this grant are:
- Zoll Automatic External Defibrillator with display case and signage (also includes Pedi-Padz II for pediatrics).
- STOP THE BLEED® KIT Includes:
- 1 red, clearly marked Stop the Bleed package
- 1 permanent marker
- 2 pair of gloves, latex-free, LG
- C-A-T® tourniquet
- 1 emergency bandage
- 1 pair of trauma shears, 7.5"
- 2 rolls of primed, compressed gauze dressing
- Applying organization must reside in a community serving Benton, Jones or Linn counties.
- Applying organization must be a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization or a government entity.
- Example: Organizations that host large gatherings like schools, senior and community centers, fitness centers, churches, sports venues, pools, libraries.
- Example: Organizations that provide emergency care in the pre-hospital environment, which can include Ambulance Services, Paramedics, Fire and Rescue Departments, Law Enforcement and First Responders.
If your organization is selected to receive an AED or Stop the Bleed Kit (STBK) from St. Luke's, an authorized individual will need to sign an AED/STOP THE BLEED® KIT Grant Agreement as a condition of the donation and prior to receipt of the item(s). As part of the Grant Agreement your organization agrees to assume full responsibility for all aspects of your AED and STOP THE BLEED® KIT and for compliance with all relevant laws, regulations and standards of care applicable to your organization.
St. Luke's will not consider requests for individuals and/or families.
No formal grant report is required. But in the event, the AED/STOP THE BLEED® KIT was utilized by your organization, please contact Tina Lampe, Sr. Marketing Communications Specialist at St. Luke's Hospital at (319) 369-7755 or firstname.lastname@example.org.