Apprenticeship Programs Sponsored by UnityPoint Clinic
Advance your career at UnityPoint Health
UnityPoint Health – Cedar Rapids and UnityPoint Clinic is offering employees opportunities to grow within their career. Apprenticeships offer structured training programs which provide employees a chance to work toward furthering their career.
Apprenticeship programs give team members an opportunity to learn new skills and earn more money. By providing an apprenticeship program for UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids and UnityPoint Clinic employees, our team can receive access to healthcare training and the opportunity to gain employment therefore changing their lives and their families and our Eastern Iowa community. Each apprenticeship program provides accelerated training, combining classroom with hands-on experience. Click below for information about the apprenticeship programs in the Cedar Rapids region.
CMA Apprenticeship Program
The CMA Apprenticeship Program is sponsored by UnityPoint Clinic.
Apply for the Certified Medical Assistant Apprenticeship program on the Hub. Click here.
Why should I consider a CMA apprenticeship?
- Career advancement opportunity
- CMA's get to work as a part of the care team helping our patients. Great for someone who wants to make a career change or looking to start a career and is worried about the cost of going back to college.
- 100 percent of tuition is paid for
- Guaranteed a position as a Medical Assistant upon completion
- Come for a job and stay for a career
What is an apprenticeship?
- A chance to earn while learning. Apprentices work at UnityPoint Health during the week while taking classes part time in the evening. At the end of the first year apprentices transfer into a new position and begin working as Non-certified Medical Assistants while continuing to take classes part time in the evening. At the end of the program and upon successful completion of their medical assisting program and certification, apprentices begin working as Certified Medical Assistants.
What type of CMA training do I receive?
- Classes are held at Kirkwood and include the following:
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- Intro to Psych
- Fundamentals of Oral Communication
- Communication for Healthcare Professionals
- Professionals in Health*
- Medical Terminology*
- Intro to Computers*
- Admin Office Medical Procedures
- Intro to Clinical Procedures
- Math for Medications
- Medical Law and Ethics
- Basic Medical Office Insurance
- Medical Assisting Pharmacology
- Medical Assistant Clinical Procedures
- Medical Lab I
* Option to test out.
What type of training/experience do I need to be considered for this apprenticeship?
- No formal training required
- Must have a high school diploma
- Proof of completing high school biology (or required to take during first semester)
What will I learn from this apprenticeship?
- Learn how to care for patients in a clinic setting
- How to obtain and process common laboratory specimens
- Medical office procedures
- Work alongside providers and nurses as part of the care team
How long is the apprenticeship?
What would my weekly schedule look like?
- Work during the day or around school while taking classes part time in the evening.
Am I eligible for pay during apprenticeship?
- Yes, apprentices work during the day where they're paid. Apprentices are not paid while they're in class but the cost of tuition is covered 100 percent.
Can I work another job during my apprenticeship? What are the requirements?
- Apprentices will remain working in their current role when first accepted into the program and will remain there for the next year. At the end of the first year of the apprenticeship is when employees will move into their first new job as a non-certified medical assistant.
What requirements do I need? Eligibility?
- Employed with UnityPoint Health for at least one year by the time the next cohort begins.
- .4 FTE or higher status at the start of the program and through completion of the program and be in good standing.
- Be accepted into Kirkwood's Medical Assisting Program which includes demonstrating the ability to meet certain academic assessment requirements.
MLT Apprenticeship Program
The Medical Lab Technician Apprenticeship Program is coming to the Cedar Rapids region in 2021. Stay tuned for more details!
This workforce product was funded by a grant awarded by the U.S. Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration. The product was created by the recipient and does not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department of Labor makes no guarantees, warranties, or assurances of any kind, express or implied, with respect to such information, including any information on the linked sites and including, but not limited to, accuracy of the information or its completeness, timeliness, usefulness, adequacy, continued availability, or ownership. This product is copyrighted by the institution that created it.