How do I save my milk?
- Store breast milk in clean storage containers or plastic bags made for breast milk storage
- Date all milk that you pump and save
- Fresh milk is good 5-6 hours on the counter (at normal room temperature), 5-6 days in a refrigerator, 5-6 months in a freezer and up to a year in a deep freeze (below zero)
- Fresh milk is good for 24 hours in a cooler
- Thaw frozen milk in a bowl of warm water or overnight in the refrigerator. Use the oldest milk first. (once thawed, swirl/jiggle milk to mix, do not shake vigorously)
- Thawed milk is good 24 hours in the refrigerator and should be used 24 hours after thawing
- Do not microwave breast milk
Please call the St. Luke's Lactation Consultant with questions at (319) 369-8944.