Whether you are in the backyard, at the community pool, splash park or beach keep in mind these basic safety tips!
Top Water Safety Tips:
- Never leaving a child unattended near water - do not trust a child's life to another child and always designate an adult supervisor to constantly keep a watchful eye.
- Actively supervise children in and around open bodies of water, giving them your undivided attention.
- Whether you're swimming in a backyard pool or in a lake, teach children to swim with an adult. Older, more experienced swimmers should still swim with a partner ever time. From the first time your kids swim, teach children to never go near or in water without an adult present.
- Learn CPR. It will give you tremendous peace of mind – and the more peace of mind you have as a parent, the better.
- Educate your children about the dangers of drain entanglement and entrapment and teach them to never play or swim near drains or suction outlets.
- Enrolling children in age-appropriate swim classes to ensure everyone in the family learns to swim well.
- Having young children wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets that are properly fitted whenever around water. Everyone (parents included) should wear a life jacket when boating.
Learn more about how to keep your family safe around water!