Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
Updated September 2, 2021
Reminder, anyone entering the hospital is required to wear a mask, per the universal UnityPoint Health masking policy. Please be kind to our team members if they remind you of our policy. We want to keep everyone safe.
We understand these restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and team members.
Only one support person per day will be allowed between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- Adult patients, including COVID+: One support person is allowed per day. This can be a different person each day.
- Pediatric patients (under age 18), including COVID+: Two caregivers or support people are allowed at a time, per day.
- Maternity Services, including COVID+: One support person and one designated birthing coach/doula are allowed during the birthing process.
- Outpatient Services, including ER patients: One support person is allowed per day. For pre-procedure patients, the support person can arrive with the patient at their arrival time when it's earlier than 7 a.m.
Exceptions will be made if the patient is imminently dying or other extenuating circumstances.
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
- Must check in at the hospital entrance and receive a "visitor" sticker or wrist band that must be worn while in the hospital. Check out when they leave.
- Must wear a mask the entire time they are in the hospital, including in the patient room. Practice hand hygiene and social distancing, and stay home if they do not feel well.
- A support person is different than a caregiver, who can be with the patient 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is necessary to the patient's care. Examples of this would be parents/guardians of a minor or someone that is able to advocate care needs of a dementia patient.
- Support persons and caregivers are allowed to go to the cafeteria unless visiting a patient with suspected or confirmed COVID.
Visitor restrictions are subject to change as necessary
Restricted Visitor Entrances
Please see changes to our entrances for each campus listed below.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Main Entrance located on the North side of Iowa Methodist Medical Center (entrance 2). Access to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center Main Entrance will be closed on Saturday and Sunday, effective June 13.
- Emergency Department Entrance is open 24/7.
- Atrium Entrance from the Parking Ramp (entrance 5). Access to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center Parking Ramp and Atrium Entrance will be closed from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., 7 days a week to further protect our team members. (Effective, Wednesday, May 13)
- Powell 1 Entrance (entrance 6) is open 24/7.
- Please note that all Medical Office Building Entrances will remain open for patients, visitors and employees to enter through.
- See map for entrance locations.
Methodist West Hospital
- Emergency Department Entrance
- Emergency Department Entrance
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy Offers Curbside Delivery
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy will temporarily offer curbside delivery effective Monday, March 30, 2020. Patients will need to drive up to the north entrance, call the pharmacy at (515) 965-4680, and they will deliver prescriptions and over-the-counter items to the car.
The pharmacy lobby will be closed to the public for the safety of our patients and employees. We will continue to deliver employee prescriptions to Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Methodist West Hospital and Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
UnityPoint Clinic Updates
We're asking all patients to wear a mask or face covering if you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location.
UnityPoint Clinic Urgent Care – Lakeview is closed. Click here for other walk-in care locations and wait times information.
To protect our patients, families and health care workers, only designated caregivers are allowed.
Designated caregivers must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Designated caregivers include, but are not limited to:
- Spouse/significant other
- Other defined caregiver
- 16 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Always remain in patient room as appropriate
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Exceptions may be made at UnityPoint Clinic in certain situations and can be discussed with patient care teams.
Additional Information and Updates
Closings and Class Cancellations
- Beyond Birth: The First Year Class - Virtual Options
- Birth and Baby Care Classes (childbirth education) - Virtual Options
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
- EMPOWER: The salon will be closed until further notice. The boutique is available by appointment only. Call 515-241-4243 to schedule an appointment.
- John Stoddard Cancer Center Support Groups (all groups)
- Maternity Tours - Iowa Methodist Medical Center Virtual Tour, Methodist West Hospital Virtual Tour
- Powell CDC Public Education
- Stroke Club Meetings - suspended until further notice
- Total Joint Class at Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital
As of March 10, 2020, UnityPoint Health is restricting in-person, vendor visits for sales and marketing calls, routine business reviews, and any other non-critical meetings. Vendor visits required for direct patient care or business critical functions (ex: equipment repair) are permissible with the appropriate screening and precautions. This change is to reduce risk of exposure to patients, team members and vendors during the global outbreak of COVID-19.
We will communicate accordingly when in-person vendor visits are reinstated. Thank you for your cooperation.
Giving Toys and Gifts to Child Life during COVID - 19
In response to the global outbreak of COVID-19, some changes have been made to our donation process. If you are interested in donating toys and activities to children and families at Blank Children's, please check out our Amazon Registry for items that would be most helpful during this time.
In efforts to protect patients, families and staff, we are not currently accepting any face-to-face donations dropped off to the hospital.
If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Amazon registry, please call 515-241-6152 or e-mail DM_childlifewishlist@unitypoint.org.