Updates, Closings & Restrictions
Please Call Ahead Before Any Visit & Wear a Mask or Face Covering
To reduce community spread of COVID-19, we're asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic. If you have an appointment at a UnityPoint Health location, please wear a mask or face covering except for children under two years old, anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated or unable to remove the mask without assistance.
Hospital Visitor Restrictions
To protect our patients, families and health care workers during the global outbreak of COVID-19 the following visitor restrictions are being implemented at all UnityPoint Health - Des Moines hospitals. This includes Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital.
Effective Wednesday, March 25, visitors are NOT allowed unless the visitor is a designated caregiver and the patient falls into one of the following categories listed below:
- Clinics: One visitor
- Blank Children's Hospital Inpatient, Children's Infusion Center and Blank Children's Emergency Department: Two parents/designated caregivers will be allowed to be present in the room to support care of the patient.
- The patient is imminently dying (expected within 24 hours): Two visitors are allowed.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium. In this case one designated caregiver may be present to support the care of the patient.
- In Maternity Services (Labor & Delivery, Postpartum) one designated caregiver/support person will be allowed to be in the room to support the mother. Doulas and outside birth coaches will not be permitted.
- Patient is having surgery - one visitor only through pre-surgical area, waiting rooms and through the duration of the patient's surgery and post-op course until discharged home.
Designated caregivers must be free of any signs of illness. Individuals at high risk for severe disease (e.g., underlying cardiopulmonary disease, poorly controlled diabetes) should not visit.
Designated caregivers include, but are not limited to:
- Spouse/significant other
- Other defined caregiver
- 16 years of age and older
- Siblings are not allowed
- Always remain in patient room as appropriate
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose)
Designated caregivers are required to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting patient's room. Team members will provide instructions if additional PPE is required.
We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and staff.
Restricted Visitor Entrances
In an effort to further protect our team members and patients, UnityPoint Health – Des Moines will be redirecting all visitors to specific entrances on each of our campuses. This will go into effect Tuesday, March 17. Please see changes to our entrances for each campus listed below.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center/Blank Children's Hospital
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Main Entrance located on the North side of Iowa Methodist Medical Center (entrance 2)
- Emergency Department Entrance
- Atrium Entrance from the Parking Ramp (entrance 5). For all clinic visits, patients and families should use the parking ramp. Access to the Iowa Methodist Medical Center Parking Ramp and Atrium Entrance will be closed from 8 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., 7 days a week to further protect our team members. (Effective, Wednesday, May 13)
- Powell 1 Entrance (entrance 6). Expecting parents should use this entrance for the maternity center.
- Please note that all Medical Office Building Entrances will remain open for patients, visitors and employees to enter through.
- See map for entrance locations.
Methodist West Hospital
- Emergency Department Entrance
- Emergency Department Entrance
Visitor restrictions are temporary and subject to change as necessary
All caregivers are required to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand foam/gel upon entering and exiting patient's room. We understand these visitor restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and staff.
Blank Children's Pediatric Clinics
Please Call Ahead Before Visiting a Clinic
In our effort to reduce community spread of COVID-19, we are asking all patients to please call ahead before visiting a clinic. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, or developed symptoms related to the virus:
Please call your Blank Provider Team (your pediatric or specialty provider) before visiting a medical facility. Proper screening and assessment will occur over the phone, and you'll then be advised on next steps. These precautions are important, as they help protect others from being exposed to the virus.
If you need treatment for something unrelated to COVID-19:
Please call your Blank Provider Team and they will direct your care. If you're not sure where to go for care, call your Blank Provider Team.
Not a patient at Blank Children's?
We understand that due to COVID-19, you may not have access to care services you need. If you are not a patient of ours and you need care, please call the Blank Children's Pediatric Clinic at 515-241-8923. Our provider teams are here for your family during this time.
We know it can be challenging to determine what kind of care you need. We are ready to help!
Parking on the Iowa Methodist/Blank Children's campus for clinic visits:
Please park in the free parking ramp located on the west side of campus. View campus map.
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy Offers Curbside Delivery
Ankeny Medical Park Pharmacy will temporarily offer curbside delivery effective Monday, March 30, 2020. Patients will need to drive up to the north entrance, call the pharmacy at (515) 965-4680, and they will deliver prescriptions and over-the-counter items to the car.
The pharmacy lobby will be closed to the public for the safety of our patients and employees. We will continue to deliver employee prescriptions to Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Methodist West Hospital and Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
Additional Information and Alerts
Closings and Cancellations
- All Campus Hospital Gift Shops are closed until further notice. We are still taking online and phone orders. Shop online by clicking here or call 515-241-6193.
- Beyond Birth: The First Year Classes
- Birth and Baby Care Classes (childbirth education) canceled through the end of June
- Breastfeeding Support Groups
- Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab - suspended until further notice
- EMPOWER: The salon will be closed until further notice. The boutique is available by appointment only. Call 515-241-4243 to schedule an appointment.
- Hannah Geneser Learning Center & Safety Store - closed until further notice. For assistance with your safety questions and safety product needs please call the Safety Store at 515-241-6706.
- John Stoddard Cancer Center Support Groups (all groups)
- Maternity Tours
- Powell CDC Public Education
- Stroke Club Meetings - suspended until further notice
- The Not New Shop
- Total Joint Class at Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital
As of March 10, 2020, UnityPoint Health is restricting in-person, vendor visits for sales and marketing calls, routine business reviews, and any other non-critical meetings. Vendor visits required for direct patient care or business critical functions (ex: equipment repair) are permissible with the appropriate screening and precautions. This change is to reduce risk of exposure to patients, team members and vendors during the global outbreak of COVID-19.
We will communicate accordingly when in-person vendor visits are reinstated. Thank you for your cooperation.
Giving Toys and Gifts to Child Life during COVID - 19
In response to the global outbreak of COVID-19, some changes have been made to our donation process. If you are interested in donating toys and activities to children and families at Blank Children's, please check out our Amazon Registry for items that would be most helpful during this time.
In efforts to protect patients, families and staff, we are not currently accepting any face-to-face donations dropped off to the hospital.
If you have questions or need assistance navigating the Amazon registry, please call 515-241-6152 or e-mail DM_childlifewishlist@unitypoint.org.