Pediatric Advanced Life Support Provider Course
Purpose & Intended Audience
This 2 day course is intended to provide physicians, nurses, paramedics and respiratory therapists current concepts of advanced pediatric life support as defined by the American Heart Association.
- Successful completion of the Pre-Course Assessment with 70% or higher. Please print your score and fax to Terry Neal at 515-241-6732 prior to the course in order to allow participation in the course. Bring AHA PALS Course manual with you to class.
- To access Pre-course Assessment, visit the PALS Student Website: www.heart.org/eccstudent and enter code: pals15.
$125-Registration fee includes nursing contact hours and American Heart Association card. Lunch is on your own.
**A 2015 AHA PALS Provider Manual is required for the course. You may purchase this paperback book from any supplier you wish. Below are a few options.
WorldPoint ECC, Inc.-https://worldpoint.com/aha-pals-provider-manual-2015.html
Leardal Medical Corporation-https://www.laerdal.com/us/item/15-1058
Channing Bete Company-https://shop.aha.channing-bete.com/onlinestore
At the completion of this program, the participant should be able to:
- Understand and be able to perform the systematic approach to pediatric assessment of a seriously ill or injured child, including the general, primary, secondary, and tertiary assessments.
- Use the "assess-categorize-decide-act" approach to decision making.
- Recognize a child in respiratory distress or failure and/or compensated or hypotensive shock.
- Manage a child who has life-threatening bradyarrhythmia, tachyarrhythmia or arrest rhythm.
- Describe the key elements and foundation of effective resuscitation including mastery of skills and effective team dynamics.
- Describe management of the child's clinical condition during stabilization and transfer phases of care.
Pediatric Advanced Life Support Instructors
Continuing Education Credit
- Nurses: 13.25 Nursing Contact Hours approved by Iowa Board of Nursing Provider #31, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
- The American Heart Association will issue a card verifying the successful completion of the PALS course. Expiration of the verification will occur two years from the date of issue.
- “UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is accredited by the Iowa Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians."
- "UnityPoint Health – Des Moines designates this live activity for a maximum of 12.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.”
- Day 1: Class meets from 8 a.m. to 3:50 p.m.
- Day 2: Class meets from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Minimum class size required. Classes may be cancelled if minimum registration is not met two weeks prior to course.
All PALS Courses are held in our Simulation Lab, unless otherwise stated.
Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist Medical Center campus
Simulation Lab, 2nd Floor ERC
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
*To get to the class, park in the ramp on level one at the south end and take the southeast elevators to level 2.
Blank Children's Hospital reserves the right to cancel the program due to insufficient enrollment or inclement weather. In this event, you will be notified and your entire registration fee refunded.
A processing fee of $30 will be retained for cancellations less than 14 business days prior to the course.
No refund will be available for cancellations less than 2 business days prior to the course.
Since this is a two-day course, the dates reflect the first day of the class only. When you register, you are registered for both days even though only one day is shown. For example, when you register for the 04/01/2020 class - the course is held April 1 & 2, 2020.
Terry Neal at Terry.Neal@unitypoint.org or 515-241-6611.