Promoting the Health of Women and Newborns
Tuesday, October 29, 2019
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Education and Research Center
UnityPoint Health – Blank Children's Hospital
1415 Woodland Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
To enable the learner to use evidence based practice to improve outcomes for women and children in the clinic, home care, and hospital settings.
Obstetrical and neonatal nurses
$55 – AWHONN and NANN Members
$70 – Non-AWHONN and Non-NANN Members
$35 – Nursing Students and Retired Nurses
$80 – After September 25
Deadline to register is October 25, 2019. *Refunds will not be available after October 25, 2019
- Evaluate national and state level trends in maternal mortality and severe maternal morbidity.
- Analyze racial disparities in maternal health outcomes.
- Discuss the formation and impact of the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC) on maternal outcomes.
- List two considerations for bundle implementation related to planning, enacting or evaluating outcomes.
- Explain the background of marijuana; its current pharmacology, and the legalization of it at the state level.
- Identify perinatal issues created by the legalization of marijuana at the state level.
- Discuss current state and future opportunities regarding marijuana use in the childbearing family.
- Review the neurobehavioral clinical presentation commonly seen with neonatal abstinence syndrome.
- Summarize the evidence supporting a new approach to caring for the newborn who has neonatal abstinence syndrome.
- Identify three ways to support the family affected by substance abuse.
- Discuss the use of advocacy by the nursing profession.
|Registration and Breakfast (Vendors may be available)
| 8 a.m.
||Welcome and Announcements
| 8:15 a.m.
|Maternal Mortality & Severe Morbidity: Who, Where, and Why
Stephanie Radke, MD, FACOG - Clinical Assistant Professor, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Assistant Clerkship Director- University of Iowa Healthcare
| 9:30 a.m.
| 10 a.m.
|Safety in Obstetrics: Recipes from our Cookbook
Jennifer L. Doyle, RN, MSN, WHNP - Summa Health System, Akron, OH - Perinatal Outreach Educator/APN and Ohio Perinatal Quality Collaborative (OPQC)- Faculty
| 11 a.m.
| 11:15 a.m.
|Rocky Mountain High - Weeding through the Myths of Marijuana
Cyndy Krening, MS, RNC-OB, C-EFM- Perinatal Clinical Nurse Specialist, Saint Joseph Hospital, Denver, CO
| 12:15 p.m.
| 1 p.m.
|Replacing Drugs with Love, A New Approach to the Care of Neonates Experiencing Neonatal Withdrawal
Alexandra Hubbell, DO, Faculty Physician, Iowa Lutheran Family Medicine Program Des Moines, IA; Physician, UnityPoint Health Powell Chemical Dependency Center
| 2 p.m.
| 2:15 p.m.
|Impact of Drugs on Mothers and Newborns - How can we help?
Substance abuse in perinatal care panel
Nurse Advocacy 101: Healthcare Leadership through Awareness
Heather Scruton, MBA, MSN, RNC-OB, E-EFM - Maternal- Fetal Critical Care Transport, Children’s Mercy, Kansas City, MO
| 4:15 p.m.
|| Evaluations and Door Prizes
| 4:30 p.m.
Door prizes given throughout the day including registration to 2020 National AWHONN Conference in Phoenix!
Last year we were able to donate 1,135 diapers to the Des Moines Area Religious Council to help our newborns in Iowa. Let’s try to beat that number! We will be raising money for diapers and having a raffle;e drawing with each dollar donated. DMARC can purchase diapers at wholesale for approximately 15 cents each or (6-7 diapers for each dollar).
Rooms have been reserved at the Des Moines Marriott Downtown for the night of Monday, October 28, 2019. Last day to book at reduced group rate is October 7, 2019
- Des Moines Marriott Downtown - $129/night
700 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
1-800-228-9290 or Book Online
Group Code: Iowa AWHONN
Please join the AWHONN leadership team for a Networking and Social hour of hors d'oeuvres Monday, October 28 at 7 p.m. at Eatery A, 2932 Ingersoll Avenue, Des Moines
Directions & Parking
Make sure you do not put West Des Moines in the GPS or it will take you to a different address on the West side of town.
The Education & Research Center (ERC) is located on the ground level of the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage. The Iowa Methodist Parking Garage is located on the west side of the Iowa Methodist campus, on the corner of Pleasant St. and 14th Place. We recommend parking in the Iowa Methodist Parking Garage and taking the South parking garage elevators to the Ground Level. After exiting the elevator, you will be in the ERC. You may also enter the ERC from the Woodland Avenue entrance.
You can find detailed instructions HERE.
Contact Sarah Copple at (515) 241-6885 or firstname.lastname@example.org