Top Safety Tips:
- Always wear a helmet and other protective gear. Your helmet should be DOT-compliant and protective gear should include goggles, long sleeves and pants, over-the-ankle boots and gloves.
- Stay off paved roads. ATVs are not designed to be used on pavement. Only ride on paved roads when you need to safely cross and it is permitted by law. Only ride in designated areas at a safe speed.
- Never allow children younger than 16 to ride an adult ATV. Always ride an ATV that's designed for your age and ALWAYS supervise young riders.
- Don't allow more people on the ATV than it was designed to carry. Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV and no more than one passenger on a machine designed for two people.
- Take hands-on training before riding. ATV safety courses are offered through the Iowa DNR and the ATV Safety Institute.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
CPSC - ATV Safety Center
University of Iowa ATV Safety Program
ATV Safety Institute
4-H ATV Safety Program
Iowa DNR ATV Safety