Hospital Visitor Restrictions - Updated October 14, 2020
For the safety of our patients and team members, visitors are restricted at all UnityPoint Health – Des Moines hospitals. Only approved support people and designated caregivers of hospitalized patients will be allowed access.
While meeting the needs of our patients, we remain committed to limiting the number of people inside the hospital to keep team members and patients safe. Because of this, we have a zero tolerance for those unwilling to comply with our restrictions.
Support Person Guidelines:
Hospitalized patients will be allowed to identify two individuals as their support people, but only one approved support person is allowed per day between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Patients must identify their support people upon admission or as soon after as possible.
Only one approved support person is allowed each day.
- Hours are limited to 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The support person will be required to check in each day at the hospital entrance and receive a wrist band that must be worn while in the hospital.
– If the support person leaves and returns during the day, they will be required to show
the wrist band in order to return to the patient room.
- The support person will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 and must be free from
any signs of illness, such as: Fever, Sore throat, Cough, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Runny nose.
- The support person must wear a mask the entire time they are in the hospital, including in
the patient room.
- The support person must remain in the patient room as appropriate.
- Individuals under the age of 16 are not allowed to be a support person.
- Patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 will not be allowed to have a support person.
Designated Caregiver Guidelines
A designated caregiver(s) will be allowed in the following circumstances:
- A patient is imminently dying: Two caregivers will be allowed at a time; caregivers may rotate at the discretion of the clinical care team. Visitors under the age of 18 may be allowed in this case, at the discretion of the clinical care team.
- The patient is being treated in an Emergency Department, Outpatient Areas, Clinics and/or Surgery: One designated caregiver is allowed.
- The patient is a minor under the age of 18 years: Up to two parents /designated caregivers/guardian at a time will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- The patient is suffering from confusion or delirium: One designated caregiver will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- In Maternity Services (Labor & Delivery, Postpartum): One designated caregiver/support person and one Doula /outside birth coach will be allowed in the patient's room to support the care of the patient.
- Siblings under the age of 16 are not allowed.
- Must always remain in patient room as appropriate.
- Free from illness such as (fever, sore throat, cough, diarrhea, vomiting or runny nose).
- Limit movement within the facility and avoid common areas (cafeterias will not be open to the public).
We understand these restrictions may be difficult for you. While we are committed to providing a family-centered care environment, right now restricting visitors is in the best interest of our patients and team members.
Reminder, anyone entering the hospital will be required to wear a mask, per the universal UnityPoint Health masking policy.
Please be kind to our team members if they remind you of our policy. We want to keep everyone safe.