Hip Replacement Surgery
If you or someone you love suffers from chronic hip pain and discomfort, it may be time to seek medical help. Offering partial and total hip replacement surgery, Quad Cities' leading orthopedic surgeons at UnityPoint Health - Trinity are here to relieve hip pain, restore function and help you return to normal activity as soon as possible.
About Hip Replacement Surgery
More than 330,000 hip replacement surgeries are performed each year in the United States. Hip replacement surgery is a surgical procedure in which the hip joint is replaced by a prosthetic implant. Depending on the severity of your condition, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend either partially or totally replacing the joint.
- Partial Hip Replacement: Partial hip replacement surgery is a procedure in which only the ball of the damaged joint is replaced.
- Total Hip Replacement: Total hip replacement surgery replaces both the damaged thigh bone (femur) and the socket with prosthetic components.
Reasons for Hip Replacement Surgery
Hip replacement surgery may be the right solution if medications, physical therapy, changes in everyday activities and the use of walking aids do not adequately help relieve symptoms. Candidates for hip replacement surgery are likely to be diagnosed with one of the following:
- Osteoarthritis: a disease that causes protective cartilage on the ends of bones to wear down
- Rheumatoid arthritis: a disease that causes painful joint stiffness and swelling
- Osteonecrosis: a disease that causes bone in joints to die
- Bone tumors that cause the hip joint to break down
- Injury to the hip joint
Benefits of Hip Replacement Surgery
As with any surgery, it is always important to weigh surgical risks with your orthopedic surgeon before choosing to undergo the procedure. However, hip replacement surgery is currently one of the most successful and cost efficient medical interventions available. Most people who undergo hip replacement surgery report:
- Reduced hip pain
- Increased movement and mobility
- Corrected deformity
- Increased leg strength
- Improved quality of life
- Ability to sleep without hip pain
Rapid Recovery Hip Replacement
UnityPoint Health - Trinity offers a Rapid Recovery Joint Replacement Program as a way for patients to get back on track faster after hip replacement. Choosing one of our qualified "rapid recovery" Orthopedic Collaborative Physicians means you gain access to a new approach to surgery that will help you:
From the time of your hip replacement surgery to the point of your recovery, Quad Cities' leading orthopedic surgeons at UnityPoint Health - Trinity are here to provide exceptional surgical care and ongoing support as you take important steps to leading a more active, pain-free life.
- Get better faster
- Have less pain
- Go home sooner (likely less than the national average by 1 - 2 days)
- Have someone you choose ready to help you. This person is your "Coach" and is with you before and after surgery