We understand the importance of seeing your dermatologist quickly when facing a skin concern. That's why we have an entire clinic dedicated to your skin health. This means you can get in to see us faster and have your skin looking and feeling better faster.
Dermatologists specialize in treating the skin, hair, nails and mucous membranes (the lining inside the mouth, nose, and eyelids).
Our board-certified dermatologists diagnose and treat more than 3,000 different diseases in patients of all ages. We provide general, pediatric and procedural dermatology.
Some regularly treated dermatologic conditions include:
- Conditions of the hair and nails
Outpatient surgeries performed by our dermatologists include the removal of:
- Skin cancers
- Skin tags
- Other benign growths
Our dermatologists offer Narrow Band UVB (Ultraviolet B) for the treatment of psoriasis, eczema, vitiligo and other conditions. Photodynamic therapy is provided for patients with multiple pre-cancerous lesions (actinic keratoses) in sun-exposed areas. A pulsed-dye laser is available for the treatment of rosacea, broken blood vessels, warts and sun spots (lentigines).
Protecting Your Skin from the Sun
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States, affecting nearly one in five individuals. The leading cause of skin cancer is UV radiation from the sun and tanning beds. Our Dermatology team recommends the following steps:
- When outside, apply a UVA/UVB sunscreen of SPF 30+ every two hours.
- Cover all areas of exposed skin even on cloudy days, cool days and in the winter.
- Sunscreen wears off. Reapply every two hours, or more frequently if swimming, sweating or toweling off.
- Check the expiration date. Most sunscreens have a shelf life of no more than three years.
- Seek the shade. Limit your exposure to the sun during the hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wear hats and clothing that cover your skin.
- Sunglasses protect your eyes and the tender skin around your eyes from UV rays.
- Do not use tanning beds—ever!
The ABCDEs of Skin Cancer
Learn what symptoms to look for.
UnityPoint Health - Meriter offers dermatology services with board-certified dermatologists, Dr. Michael Pomroy and Dr. Deborah Marble.
If you are new to the Dermatology Clinic at Meriter, please bring your insurance card and photo identification to your first appointment. If you are unable to keep a scheduled appointment, we ask that you please notify us at least 24 hours in advance.