Running is a demanding activity that requires precise control of the musculoskeletal system (posture, strength, flexibility) as well as proper equipment in order to do it proficiently. Slight faults in your mechanics are difficult to observe and can lead to debilitating injury.
With high-speed video analysis, UnityPoint Health - Meriter Sports Medicine can provide solutions for runners experiencing problems with their running, and those looking to prevent injury or enhance their performance. The input from a high-speed video analysis provides valuable information to both the runner and their therapist to allow for safe and enjoyable training.
There are three options to access the biomechanical video analysis services:
Performance Assessment ($130)
A 60-minute comprehensive, one-on-one evaluation including:
- Video Running Analysis with Pro Trainer DV - Using high-speed video analysis software, the sports professionals at Meriter Sports Medicine can record your running mechanics at 60 frames per second allowing for each critical phase of your running motion to be visualized
- Thorough Musculoskeletal Examination - A physical therapist will assess your posture, joint mobility, flexibility, strength, and balance for limitations that may be limiting the efficiency of your running motion, leading to injury.
- Personalized Exercise Plan - Using the information obtained from the video analysis and the musculoskeletal examination, along with your personal goals, you and your physical therapist will develop a personalized exercise plan specifically designed to address your limitations. The goal is to identify the key areas to be addressed and create a plan that allows you to quickly and easily target them. You will be given written and picture instructions to assist with the performance of you corrective exercises.
- Take Home Visual Feedback Info - In addition to your exercise plan, your recorded video analysis can be transferred to a personal flash drive for future review which can help reinforce the correction of your biomechanics. If you would like a copy, please bring flash drive to analysis session.
Performance Assessment – Package ($250)
This thorough package includes:
- 60 minute performance evaluation (see above)
- Two 30 minute follow-up sessions
- Hands-on guidance – By choosing the performance package, you will receive additional one-on-one time with the sports specialist from Meriter Sports Medicine. During this time, your physical therapist will give you feedback and hands-on guidance to ensure correct mechanics and performance of your home exercise program.
Physical Therapy – Injury Assessment
If the pain and limitation you experience during running also affects your ability to complete daily activities (yard work, house hold chores, dressing, bathing, sleeping) physical therapy can help! Physical therapy services may include:
- Performance evaluation (as outlined above)
- Additional therapy treatment options – during formal treatment, the physical therapist can utilize modalities to reduce acute, joint mobilization to restore proper joint mechanics, traction for neck and low back pain, and more.
- Education on individualized modification – under certain circumstances your body mechanics or swing may need to be modified to accommodate for any restrictions. Your physical therapist will work with you to make appropriate adaptations to allow you to continue running within your limitations.
Together, these services will provide a comprehensive treatment plan, facilitating a quicker resolution of your pain and return to your active lifestyle.
Formal Physical Therapy treatment may be covered under your insurance but a physician's referral may be required. Please contact your insurance provider for further details.