Nurse Residency Program
About Nurse Residency
UnityPoint Health – Meriter is proud to offer a four-month nurse residency program for new graduate nurses. The nurse residency program is specifically designed to support the new graduate nurse through the first four months of practice after orientation is complete. The program will help you gain the experience, skills and confidence needed to navigate the complexities of patient care.
The eight sessions of the residency are scheduled every other week for four months. View a sample schedule.
The UnityPoint Health – Meriter Advantage
At Meriter, you will find a commitment to nursing excellence that will support you in becoming the nurse you aspire to be. The program includes:
- Evidence based structured educational experience to develop competence and confidence in nursing practice.
- A supportive environment with small group discussion sessions and support.
- Clinical shadowing experiences to better appreciate the complete health care experiences of a patient.
- Opportunity to understand the role of the nurse in the greater health care system and community through presentations and activities from experts around the organization.
- Coordination by a Nursing Professional Development Specialist. The program coordinator will work with each individual resident as well as within the group learning sessions to assure that all possible educational resources are made available and learning needs are met.
Goals of Nurse Residency
- Strengthen the newly graduated nurse's commitment to nursing as a profession, and to Meriter as an organization.
- Promote the development of competencies and skills related to clinical judgment, communication, delegation and leadership, to enhance patient care at the bedside and to facilitate the incorporation of evidence-based practice into daily nursing care, to ensure positive patient outcomes.
- Provide guidance, mentoring and peer support to newly graduated nurses. The RN Residency Program enhances Meriter's current nursing orientation process, through a comprehensive system approach that provides new nurses with education, training and support they need to progress from a novice to an advanced-beginner competency level.
How to Apply
The basic requirements for acceptance into the Nurse Residency Program at Meriter Hospital are:
- Graduation from nursing school within 12 months of hire.
- Accepted offer of employment as a newly graduated nurse at UnityPoint Health – Meriter.
- Willingness to actively participate in all learning sessions and complete program-related activities which include but are not limited to clinical journaling, knowledge assessment and survey tool completion.