Extended Hours Now Available
For your convenience, we are now offering evening hours for our mammography services. Mammography saves lives, call to schedule your screening mammogram today (608) 417-6288.
Bone density scans are also available at the Monona Clinic, so you can save time by scheduling your mammogram and bone density scan during the same visit.
What you need to know about Screening Mammography
A screening mammogram is a special x-ray of the breasts to look for changes that are not normal. It is used for women who have no breast problems or concerns.
Mammography is currently the most effective way to look for breast cancer. It may reveal breast problems before they can be felt by you or your doctor.
Who should have a Screening Mammogram?
It is recommend to have a screening mammography yearly beginning at age 40 for women without breast problems. If you are considered a high risk patient (such as with a strong family history), you should discuss beginning screening mammography at an earlier age with your health care provider.
Preparing for your Mammogram
- If possible, have a physical exam (including a breast examination) from your health care provider prior to your mammogram.
- Schedule your mammogram when your breasts are the least tender. If you are menstruating, that will be one week after your period.
- Wear a separate top and bottom so that it will be easier and more comfortable to disrobe from your waist up.
- Do not wear deodorant, talcum powder, ointment or lotion on your breasts or underarm area.
- Be able to share where and when you have had prior mammograms so we can obtain them prior to your appointment.
What to expect during your Mammogram
Your appointment will last approximately 30 minutes. Your technologist will take a brief history from you, and then begin your mammography exam. Although the pressure of the mammogram only lasts a few seconds, some women find it uncomfortable. Please tell your technologist what you are experiencing and how you feel. She will be able to respond to your specific needs and address your concerns to assure you have the best possible mammogram experience.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Please call UnityPoint Health - Meriter Mammography Services at (608) 417-6288 to make your screening mammogram appointment.