Mind Body Medicine
What is Mind Body Medicine?
Medical science has now proven that emotions, thoughts and behaviors can have a big influence on your overall health. The focus of Mind Body Medicine is the interaction between the mind and body and the powerful ways in which biological, psychological and social factors affect medical symptoms and wellbeing.
Mind Body Medicine is effective in reducing the stress that can cause or complicate conditions like heart disease, respiratory problems, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, chronic pain, cancer, gastrointestinal disorders, menopause and insomnia, in addition to many others.
The goal of Mind Body Medicine is to teach self-care and coping techniques so that you have the tools you need to improve and maintain your health.
As Hippocrates once wrote, "The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well."
Mind Body Medicine at UnityPoint Health - Meriter
In this group, led by Meriter health psychologist Shelly Komondoros, PhD, you will learn how to recognize the sources of stress in your life, make health-related behavior changes and better manage stress-related symptoms and illnesses.
The goal of Mind Body Medicine is to help you feel better and gain greater control of your health. In a safe and supportive group environment, you will learn how to:
- appreciate the mind-body connection
- understand the stress-symptom cycle
- implement healthy lifestyle practices
- incorporate relaxation techniques into daily life
- change unhelpful thinking patterns
- cultivate healing beliefs
- improve communication
- strengthen social support networks
This nine-week group is intended for anyone who:
- is interested in improving their health and reducing stress
- has medical problems triggered by or complicated by stress
- is interested in developing self-care skills to complement their medical treatment
The group will meet once a week for nine weeks on Wednesdays from 3–5 p.m.
Please check-in at Heart & Vascular Institute, Suite 200. You must obtain a physician referral and will need an individual screening appointment with the health psychologist prior to enrollment. Click here to learn more about enrolling.
Many insurance plans will cover the cost of the group. Please provide our clinic with your updated insurance information and we will assist with verifying your benefits.
For more information or to schedule your initial screening appointment, please call (608) 417-2090.
Here is what past Mind Body Medicine participants have said about the program:
- "The mind-body program helped me to learn how to take care of myself."
- "I learned to be aware of my stress triggers and how to deal with them in a positive manner."
- "The program helped me understand the dynamics of my mind that were affecting my body."
- "I learned how to prioritize things. the important things."
- "I feel like I'm healing from the inside out."
- "I had forgotten what it was like to feel good, to look forward to life."
- "My attitude has changed. I'm more assertive and sure of myself."
Click here to learn more about enrolling.