Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants are committed to helping you have a positive breastfeeding experience. We offer a wide variety of services for before and after delivery including:
- Prenatal breastfeeding class
- Breastfeeding educational materials and aids
- Prenatal assessment for women with previous or anticipated breastfeeding problems
- In-hospital consultations for mothers and newborns
- Outpatient consultation for nursing mothers and babies
- Telephone consultation from UnityPoint Health - Meriter Breastfeeding Helpline
- Office clinic visits for hands-on help
- A private Mom's Lounge for visitors to use for nursing and pumping (located in 3 Atrium above Dr. Joe Coffee Kiosk)
The decision to breastfeed is a personal one. Breastfeeding provides numerous benefits for you and your baby - and is a beautiful and natural way to bond. Our qualified Lactation Services staff is here to provide extensive breastfeeding and education support. If you have any questions, please contact one of our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) by calling (608) 417-6547. Please leave a message if your call is not answered and we will respond as soon as possible.
- Inpatient Visits- Following the birth of your baby, our consultants are available to answer questions you may have and can help educate you on how best to meet your breastfeeding goals. If you are struggling with breastfeeding, the lactation consultants are there to support you and your nurse. You may ask your nurse to speak with a lactation consultant at any time during your hospital stay. Our consultants are available for inpatient visits seven days a week on our post-partum floors and in our NICU.
- Breastfeeding Helpline- our helpline answering machine is on 24 hours a day, and we return calls between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm for any questions or concerns which may arise after you return home. Please feel free to call at (608) 417-6547
- Outpatient Visits - If breastfeeding questions or concerns arise after you return home, our consultants can help with any breastfeeding challenges you may face, including positioning, latch-on, engorgement and low milk supply. Our goal is to provide you with the help you need to reach your breastfeeding goals. Call (608) 417-6547 to schedule a one-on-one outpatient visit. This visit involves a fee so check with insurance first.
- Breastfeeding is a commitment and can sometimes be challenging. Our Lactation Services at UnityPoint Health – Meriter are available to help make this process easier.
While moms are welcome to nurse anywhere within our hospital and clinics, those looking for a private space have a new option in the hospital. The Mom's Lounge is conveniently located in 3 Atrium near the After-Hours Clinic, surgical waiting area and the Developmental Assessment Clinic. The room features a comfortable chair, small table and electrical outlets. A bathroom is also located nearby. Learn more about our Mom's Lounge.