When is it time to consider hospice as an option for your patient?
- Patent and family chose to transition to comfort care from curative treatment
- Physician clinical judgement of a prognosis of six months or less if disease runs "normal course"
- Increased hospitalizations
- Loss of function/physical decline
- Multiple comorbidities
What Providers Should Know about Hospice Referrals
UnityPoint Hospice: What Providers Should Know About Hospice Referrals from UnityPoint Health on Vimeo.
These are to be used as a guide but should not take place of your clinical judgement. Hospice care may be appropriate for patients who do not meet those criteria when, for example, they have comorbidities or rapid decline from combined diseases.
For a list of disease-specific symptoms that may indicate eligibility for hospice, please contact the nearest UnityPoint Hospice office:
- Muscatine, IA: 563-263-3325
- Storm Lake, IA: 712-749-2741
- Des Moines, IA: 515-557-3100
- Quad Cities, IA/IL: 309-779-7600
- Fort Dodge: 515-574-6416
- Quincy, IL: 217-277-4098
- Waterloo, IA: 319-235-5027