Care Choices at Home
A service for Medicare patients
Living as well as possible is hard with a serious illness. That is why UnityPoint at Home in Fort Dodge offers the Care Choices at Home model. Care Choices at Home is provided through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and provides the right care at the right time, meeting the patient and family where they are in their journey with terminal illness, while still providing curative services.
Care Choices at Home is not hospice. The model provides the opportunity for patients to receive help with living as well and as long as possible, without having to give up treatment for their advanced cancer, COPD or congestive heart disease. Care Choices at Home is provided in the home at no cost to the patient and family.
Services and Care
Care Choices at Home provides:
- Conversations that identify patients' goals
- An individualized plan of care for every patient
- Help with pain, trouble breathing and other symptoms
- Education about the disease and answers to patients' questions
- Partnership with all the patient's care providers
- A team of nurses, social and spiritual counselors, aides and volunteers
- 24/7/365 access to the Care Choices at Home team
- Extra support for patients and their loved ones, so they can focus on feeling better
In addition, Care Choices at Home coordinates Medicare A, B and D benefits and services that may include:
- Physician visits
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Acute hospitalization
- Physician, occupational and speech therapy
- Curative care treatments like chemo, radiation or transfusions
The referral process begins with the provider having a conversation with a patient who is dealing with a specific end-stage terminal illness but would like to continue curative treatment. The three diagnoses include:
- Congestive heart failure
- Advanced cancer
If a patient is interested in enrollment or additional information, the provider can call (515) 574-6416. A UnityPoint at Home RN Care Coordinator will partner with the provider to determine eligibility.
There are 13 eligibility requirements to meet enrollment. A few of the key requirements include:
- Has terminal diagnosis of advanced cancer, COPD or congestive heart failure
- Meets hospice eligibility of six months or less prognosis
- Primary provider signs and dates enrollment and referring provider attestation
- Lives at home at time of admission
- Enrolled in Medicare A and B and stand-alone Part D for previous 12 months
- Has had at least two hospitalizations in the last year related to the qualifying diagnosis one hospital encounter in the last year.
- Has had at least three office visits in the last year related to the qualifying diagnosis
At UnityPoint at Home, we want you to have the best life possible as you live with a serious illness. Please talk with your doctor if you or your loved one is interested in Care Choices at Home.
For more information, call (515) 574-6416.