Neurology is the branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates body activities. It has two major divisions:
- Central nervous system: the brain and spinal cord
- Peripheral nervous system: all other neural elements, such as eyes, ears, skin, and other "sensory receptors"
Headache and Migraine Treatment
Treatment does exist for migraines and chronic headaches. And while it is easy to blow off a migraine as an intense headache, you could be dealing with an intense and constant pain longer than you have to. More importantly, if your headaches are painful enough that you're seeking relief, it is possible that you're dealing with migraines. Don't ignore headache and migraine symptoms like loss of appetite, fatigue and sensitivity to light.
If you or your child experiences any of the migraine symptoms below, reach out to a neurologist today; these are doctors who specialize in headaches and migraines. If you have suffered from migraines for the majority of your life, these are the times when you should go in for another check-up:
- migraines come on abruptly and are severe
you are suffering from a fever, stiff neck, double vision, weakness and numbness along with the headache
- headache hurts worse after coughing, exertion or straining
- You experience 15 or more migraine days a month
What is a Neurologist?
A doctor who specializes in neurology is called a neurologist. The neurologist treats disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord, and nerves, such as:
- Cerebrovascular disease, such as stroke
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis
- Headache disorders
- Infections of the brain and peripheral nervous system
- Movement disorders, such as Parkinson's disease
- Neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease)
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Spinal cord disorders
- Speech and language disorders
Neurologists do not perform surgery. If one of their patients requires surgery, they refer them to a neurosurgeon.