Younker Rehabilitation is for the person who needs:
- 24-hour rehabilitation nursing care in an inpatient setting
- 3 hours of intensive physical and occupational therapy
- 24-hour availability of a physician who specializes in physical rehabilitation (a physiatrist )
Experience in Rehabilitation
Since opening in 1959, we have been a leader in providing rehabilitation to our community. We treat a wide variety of injuries, illnesses and congenital diagnoses.
We care for patients with stroke, brain injury or spinal cord injury as well as many other specialized diagnoses.
The objective of stroke rehabilitation is to restore as much independence to the person that the stroke has affected. We accomplish this through multiple therapeutic approaches that assist the individual and their support persons in working toward their goals. Education and support is also directed toward understanding and coping with emotional reactions and depression, which may result following a stroke.
Patients who have suffered a brain injury require specialized treatment. The brain injury program addresses those needs through specific physical, cognitive and behavioral treatments. Our facility is equipped with state-of-the-art technology to maintain the safety of those who are recovering from loss of memory or other issues associated with brain injury.
Spinal Cord Injury
This program provides individuals who have experienced a spinal cord injury the opportunity to gain the skills, tools and outlooks necessary to return to an independent and productive life. Multiple therapeutic approaches are used to assist the individual and their support persons in working toward their goals.
Younker Rehabilitation is accredited by CARF and DNV.
- Our team of 70+ employees has more than 700 years of rehabilitation experience.
- Many of our Nurses, Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy clinicians hold specialty certifications and advanced degrees.
- Each patient is followed by one of our three board-certified physiatrists who specialize in physical rehabilitation.
- Our staff helped co-found the Iowa Chapter of the Spinal Cord Injury Association.
- We coordinate and sponsor a community Stroke Club. For information, call (515) 241-4499.
- We maintain an active role with the Brain Injury Association and many other community associations and events.
- We partner with the Muscular Dystrophy Association to provide specialty on-site clinics to meet the needs of patients with neurological disorders (including ALS and Muscular Dystrophy). The clinic team includes physicians, nurses, physical/occupational therapists, speech pathologists and social workers.
Continuum of Care Options
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines can help you manage your urgent health care needs and assist you with a successful return to your home. After a stay at Younker Rehabilitation, you may require:
Our healing environment is based on opinions from persons served, the community and employees. We have designed our facility to better serve our patients and families. Every member of our team easily works and communicates with each other to meet your needs and goals.