**To protect our patients, family and staff during the flu season, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines (Iowa Methodist, Iowa Lutheran, Methodist West and Blank Children's) is implementing enhanced visitor guidelines throughout all units of the hospitals. Click here to read more about the flu season visitor guidelines.
We at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines believe a strong support system is essential to the health and well-being of families. Please use this information as a guideline for family and friends who wish to visit while you are in the hospital. These guidelines will be customized to your individual needs. For the safety of our patients, there may be periodic changes made to our visiting guidelines.
- During labor and delivery please limit the number of people in the room to two at a time.
- Please allow a two hour recovery period for mom and baby following the delivery.
- Friends, family and the baby's siblings are welcome to visit. When your baby's sibling(s) come to the hospital, please have an adult other than yourself supervise them. This is especially important if they leave your room.
- If anyone planning to visit is not feeling well or has been exposed to any illness, we ask them to postpone their visit until they are well.
- Visitors are asked to wash their hands when entering the room and before touching the baby.
- Quiet time for mommy and baby rest is from 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. During this hour the hall lights will be dimmed and signs will be posted inviting people to return at a later time. The staff will not interrupt unless absolutely necessary.
- Rest while you can. If you wish to have more private time with your baby or sleep undisturbed, your telephone can be unplugged and a "Please do not disturb, mother resting" sign can be placed on your door.