UnityPoint Clinic - Sports Medicine
When you get injured while playing a sport or any type of activity, it's important to see a specialist who understands your injury and is specially trained to help get you back to living an active lifestyle as quickly and safely as possible. That's exactly the kind of care you will receive at UnityPoint Clinic - Sports Medicine - Urbandale. We are located at 2901 86th Street in Urbandale and treat all types of sports medicine and musculoskeletal injuries.
Our physician, Marc Molis, M.D., FAAFP, is board-certified in Sports Medicine and Family Medicine and is a Fellow with the American Academy of Family Physicians. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Molis:
- Dr. Molis received his medical degree from Northwestern University Medical School and completed his sports medicine fellowship at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
- Completed his residency with the Hinsdale Family Practice Residency Program and an internship with Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.
- Is a faculty member at Blank Children's Hospital where he helps to teach residents and is also on the faculty at the University of Iowa.
- Has experience in perfomance medicine (previously worked with the Milwaukee Ballet) and team sports medicine care. Dr. Molis currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including West Des Moines Valley High School, the Des Moines Cycling Team, Simpson College and the Des Moines Buccaneers. He also has previous experience with the Milwaukee Brewers baseball team.
- Contributes to many sports medicine articles and books including an area that he specializes in - asthma and the athlete.
- He frequently presents lectures on Concussion Management throughout the Des Moines area.
- Was named a 2008 Des Moines Top Doctor by DSM Magazine.
Our physician, Shawn Spooner, M.D., is board-certified in Sports Medicine and Family Medicine. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Spooner:
- Dr. Spooner received his medical degree from University of Iowa and completed his sports medicine fellowship at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.
- Completed his residency with the US Navy at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, California.
- Has practiced operational military and sports medicine with the US Marine Corps, US Navy, and US Army special forces. Experience includes overseas work in Korea and Afghanistan.
- Has experience in performance medicine. Dr. Spooner currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including: ADM High School, Grandview University and the Des Moines Buccaneers.
- Research interests include injury risk prediction and prevention, post-concussion care and recovery. Has studied and published work on post-concussion recovery, balance screening, and the effect of exercise on human immune response to illness.
- Certified to administer the formal Functional Movement Screen (FMS), an injury risk prediction tool. Works with athletes and active individuals to prevent injury through proactive corrective exercise.
- Is a certified/licensed level III US Cycling Coach.
Click to print and view the Greater Des Moines Trails Map.