A Healthy Lifestyle Starts with a Team Approach
We use a team approach. Our health specialists will work with you to set weight loss goals and make changes to achieve them.
A complete evaluation by the nurse practitioner at your first visit is the foundation of your personalized program.
Your nurse practitioner will:
- Look for health issues that might cause obesity
- Review your medicines that can lead to weight gain
- Consider your health problems related to being overweight
- Make recommendations to your primary care doctor to support your weight loss goals
A dietitian will:
- Review your current eating patterns and help you make a personal diet plan
- Teach you how to eat healthy to prevent or manage disease
- Follow up with you to check on your progress
An exercise physiologist will:
- Test your exercise capacity
- Help you build a personal exercise plan
- Check on your progress and adjust the plan so it keeps working for you
- Adapt your exercise plan for problems like joint pain
A mental health counselor will:
- Use counseling to help with things that affect your ability to eat healthy and make changes to improve your eating habits
Technology - State-of-the-art technology will be used to follow accurate information about your body to track your progress in:
- Body mass index
- Body fat percentage
- Resting metabolic rate
We will help you monitor your own food choices and exercise with journals, websites, and phone applications to increase mindfulness - your ability to recognize and make choices and actions that lead to good health.
Our patient-centered approach puts you in the driver's seat, empowering you to reach weight loss goals that lead to long-term, lifetime health.
Healthy Lifestyle Program team members:
- Help you create personal goals and give you feedback
- Follow up with you to help you meet your short- and long-term weight and lifestyle goals
Some tests can be done right in our clinic (like resting metabolic rate and exercise tolerance tests), but some need to be done at another place. We will work with you to schedule these at a convenient time at another UnityPoint Health - Des Moines location.
Your Healthy Lifestyles Program team will coordinate your care and any tests you need with your primary care doctor and other health providers.
Check with your insurance company to see what parts of the Program are covered. Some testing charges may need self-payment, or dollars set aside in a healthcare flexible spending account.
How do I get started?
To get started, you need to make an appointment in the clinic. Call 515-241-2250 today to sign up for your first visit.