Online Childbirth Education Program
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines now offers expectant parents another option for childbirth education through our new eLearning program. The Gift of Motherhood eLearning Childbirth Education Program is for those who are unable to attend our conventional Childbirth Preparation classes due to bed rest, scheduling conflicts or time constraints. It is also a good refresher course for repeat parents.
The web-based eLearning program includes:
- Animated illustrations, videos, voice-overs and games
- Access for a 10-week period, beginning from the date of your initial use. You will receive an access code after you register and pay for the class.
- The opportunity to contact one of our nurse educators by email to help answer any questions you may have.
- A tour of any of Maternity Centers. Fill out the online form to schedule a tour or call 515-263-BABY.
- Childbirth education and labor support
- Discomforts of pregnancy
- Understanding labor and birth
- Labor guide
- Caring for yourself postpartum
- Feeding your newborn
- Caring for your newborn
$35 for 10-week access
What is the eLearning program?
The Gift of Motherhood eLearning program is a flash-based online book that will allow you to understand all aspects of pregnancy.
What do I need in order to view the book?
You'll need the most recent version of Adobe Flash, a fast internet connection (DSL, Cable or other broadband) and Adobe Reader. You'll also need a computer with sound and speakers or headphones to hear the audio.
How do I use it?
Read the eBook just like you would a traditional book - click on the edge of the book to turn the page. Also, be sure to click on all of the icons to learn more. Some icons open a movie or animation, others give you added information. If you see a word in green, be sure to move your mouse over it to learn the definition.
What if I'm having difficulty with the eBook?
Some common problems may occur when using the eBook. First, make sure your Internet connection is working by visiting some other sites. Then, make sure you have the newest version of Adobe Flash. You may need to uninstall the previous version of Flash before you install the new version. For instructions on how to uninstall Flash, visit their support site.
What if I can't see anything?
Wait a couple of minutes more to let the program load. When Internet access is slow, the eBook may load more slowly than normal. If, after a several minutes, nothing appears, try restarting your computer.
What if the videos don't work?
Give the videos a moment to load and make sure you have the latest version of Flash. If it still doesn't work, try restarting your computer.
What if my code doesn't work anymore?
Try re-entering the code, making sure there are no spaces before or after the code. If that does not work, contact the administrator at your hospital to make sure the code is still active. Note: All "0" are numerals.
- Sound Card
- Speakers or Headphones
- Updated Video Card
- Approximately 512MB RAM
- 1 GHz processor (recommended)
- Access to a nearby printer (optional)
- Active-X controls enabled
- Pop-ups turned on
- Java enabled
- Latest version of Adobe Macromedia Flash Player
- Latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Firefox or Safari
- Full Accessories installed with Windows operating system
- High-speed Internet access
Questions or Comments?
Feel free to contact us with any questions, comments or concerns you may have.