UnityPoint Health - Des Moines' Diabetes Education and Services
The Diabetes Education Center utilizes a team-based approach to diabetes management. Our certified diabetes educators, nurses and dietitians work with each individual's physician to facilitate the common goal of successful diabetes management. The team of health care professionals at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines offers information, instruction and support through educational programs and counseling sessions. We work to improve each person's quality of life, and we believe that while diabetes cannot be cured, it can be effectively managed by learning important skills.
The Diabetes Education Center has received national recognition by the American Diabetes Association and state certification from the Department of Public Health and the Department of Human Services. The professional staff has more then 100 cumulative years in diabetes education.
What makes us different?
- Improved diabetes management through nursing and nutrition consultation, counseling, blood glucose self-monitoring and insulin training.
- Better linkage between the patient's primary medical care and certified diabetes educators (CDE).
- Patient-focused educational approach to reduce long-term complications, thereby reducing the likelihood of hospital admissions.
Group and Individual Education
- Type 2 Diabetes - we offer a 10 hour, comprehensive program for anyone with type 2 diabetes, newly diagnosed or longstanding. Nine of the 10 hours are in a group setting. Attendees are with us three hours per week for three weeks. We offer morning, afternoon and evening blocks of time. Each session is team taught by a certified diabetes educator (CDE). The final hour is an individual session with on of our dietitians. A physician referral is necessary for this program as we will bill your insurance company.
- Gestational Diabetes - this class is specific to pregnant women. Attendees are with us for four hours total, over a two week period (2 visits). Each session is team taught by both a nurse and a dietitian (CDE).
- Type 1 Diabetes - sessions are individualized and are taught by both a nurse and a dietitian (CDE).
For more information about the above classes, please call (515)241-5074.
Additional Diabetes Resources