Diabetes is a significant and costly public health problem, requiring innovative strategies across the entire health care continuum. The National Institutes of Health estimates that 25.8 million Americans have diabetes; half of these cases are undiagnosed. More than 1.9 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed each year and the incidence will increase as our population ages.
The hospitals and physician partners of UnityPoint Health have made a commitment to offer our communities strong, integrated diabetes programs. We can offer our patients state-of-the-art disease management and educational tools to improve their quality of life. We believe people with diabetes can live healthy, productive and enjoyable lives if they work to become skilled in self-management of the disease.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines' Diabetes Education and Services
The Diabetes Education Center utilizes a team-based approach to diabetes management. Our certified diabetes educators, nurses and dietitians work with each individual's physician to facilitate the common goal of successful diabetes management. The team of health care professionals at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines offers information, instruction and support through educational programs and counseling sessions. We work to improve each person's quality of life, and we believe that while diabetes cannot be cured, it can be effectively managed by learning important skills.
The Diabetes Education Center has received national recognition by the American Diabetes Association and state certification from the Department of Public Health and the Department of Human Services. The professional staff has more then 100 cumulative years in diabetes education.
What makes us different?
- Improved diabetes management through nursing and nutrition consultation, counseling, blood glucose self-monitoring and insulin training.
- Better linkage between the patient's primary medical care and diabetes educators.
- Easy, convenient counseling sessions by appointment.
- Patient-focused educational approach to reduce long-term complications, thereby reducing the likelihood of hospital admissions.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM)
- Group education sessions
- Individual education sessions
Additional Diabetes Resources