A program for young women ages 18 to 45, who are at high risk for breast or ovarian cancer.
The John Stoddard Cancer Center is proud to offer EmPowered - a program that aims to support and educate young women, ages 18 to 45, who are at a high risk for breast or ovarian cancer due to personal history, family history or a genetic predisposition. Unlike a typical support group, EmPowered is centered around providing not only education, but also socialization that is so important to those who are young and high risk for developing breast and/or ovarian cancer. This provides a unique opportunity for women to meet new friends and share similar concerns, hopes and journeys.
Topics and issue that can be most concerning for these women are discussed and addressed throughout the year. The following are some of the topics that are discussed:
- Breast screening/surgery
- Body image changes
- Financial/insurance concerns
- Gynecologic surgeries
- Hormone replacement therapy
- Ovarian cancer screening
- Alterations with gynecologic health
- Talking with your kids, spouse or significant other
- Talking with your family
- Healthy eating
- Decreasing mental stress
- Organizing your life
This is a program for young women ages 18 to 45, who are at high risk for breast or ovarian cancer. What makes a young woman at high risk?
- Personal history of breast and/or ovarian cancer
- Close family members (1st and/or 2nd degree relatives) with breast and/or ovarian cancer
- Known BRCA mutation in family or self
- Male breast cancer(s) in family
- Cancer(s) diagnosed before the age of 50
For more information on EmPowered please call 515-241-8704 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.