Plan a Fundraiser
Thank you for your interest in hosting an event to benefit UnityPoint Health - Des Moines or our family of entities (Iowa Methodist, Iowa Lutheran, Blank Children's, Methodist West, John Stoddard Cancer Center, UnityPoint at Home, UnityPoint Hospice, Taylor House Hospice and UnityPoint Clinic) . We are truly grateful for your support and ask that you follow these guidelines as you plan your event. By working with you, our goal is to ensure the best possible outcome for your event by approaching donors in a coordinated fashion to enrich patients' lives and enhance care at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
- Events must fit the mission and image of the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
- All event materials that include the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines (Iowa Methodist, Iowa Lutheran, Blank Children's, Methodist West, John Stoddard Cancer Center, UnityPoint at Home, UnityPoint Hospice, Taylor House Hospice or UnityPoint Clinic) logos must be reviewed and approved in advance by our staff. Materials include, but are not limited to, advertising, press releases, posters, flyers, and t-shirts. Logo CANNOT be modified, including shape, color, etc.
- The public must be informed how UnityPoint Health - Des Moines will benefit from the event. If we will not receive 100 percent of the proceeds, an exact percentage or amount must be stated on all related publicity.
- UnityPoint Health - Des Moines (including individual programs, divisions, etc.) must receive at least 50% of the proceeds from events benefiting our charity.
- If event expenses are greater than the money raised by the event, the event organizer is responsible for those expenses. The hospital and foundation are unable to assume costs associated with third party fundraising events.
- Solicitation of businesses involving the direct or implied use of the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines name(s) and/or logo(s) must be approved in advance by our staff. Many businesses already support UnityPoint Health - Des Moines and may not wish to make additional donations.
- The event organizer must obtain any necessary permits, licenses, and insurance.
- Events should complement the image and mission of the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. We discourage direct sponsorship by companies whose products are in conflict with our mission, including but not limited to alcohol and tobacco.
- If circumstances warrant (e.g., fraud, negative exposure, etc.), UnityPoint Health - Des Moines may at any time, through members of its Board of Directors or senior administrators, direct you to remove UnityPoint Health - Des Moines as the beneficiary of the event. This includes, but is not limited to advertising, promotional materials, etc. You must further agree to release UnityPoint Health - Des Moines and its officers and employees from any and all liability in connection to any such action.
- Should UnityPoint Health - Des Moines decline the application or choose not to be affiliated with the third-party event in question, reference to UnityPoint Health - Des Moines in any form (i.e., use of name or logos, etc.) will not be permitted. Failure to adhere to this stipulation will be cited as fraud.
Tips for Planning a Fundraiser
Fundraisers and special events are fun and allow you to be part of something worthwhile. However, special events involve a lot of work and are expensive. Here are some tips to guide you along to make it easier for you to hold a successful event.
- Brainstorm - Talk with coworkers, friends, family, and anyone else who is interested in creating an event to raise money for UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. The more the merrier! At this point do not restrict yourself to whether it is doable or not - clear your mind and think BIG! Say whatever comes to mind!
- Pick an event - Review the ideas generated through brainstorming and pick the event that fits your group's size, interests, talents, goals, and time availability. It is much easier to plan an event and raise money if it is something you want to be part of.
- Pick a day - Figure out how much time you need to plan the event. For something large in size, you should give yourself a minimum 8 months. It may be possible to organize a smaller event in 1 or 2 months. Next, determine what will a desirable day and time for those you would like to attend. Check out local calendars of events so you don't conflict with another group that is after the same audience! Finally, confirm that your venue, entertainment, etc. are available.
- Register your event - Once you have determined what event you want to hold, please register your event with the UnityPoint Health Foundation Office. We'll check that your event matches with our vision and goals.
- Form a committee - Invite people who are enthusiastic, dedicated, and bring different skills to the table. Many hands make lighter work - make sure you have enough to share the load.
- Establish goals and a budget - Have an achievable and measurable financial goal for your event. Our budget worksheet will provide you some things you may need to consider and costs you may encounter. Identify all expenses and possible sources of income. If you are able to keep costs low, you'll be able to help more of those we serve at UnityPoint Health - Des Moines. However, before approaching any companies or organizations for cash or in-kind support, please contact our staff. Many businesses and organizations already support us may not wish to make additional donations.
- Promotion and publicity - Publicity and promotion are what will help you ensure your event is a success. Please remember our staff must approve the use of the logo and name; please be in touch before you print anything!
- Find Volunteers - It is often harder than it sounds! Determine how many volunteers you will need at the actual event - don't forget to have a few "floaters" who can go where they are most needed at any given moment. Once you have the "magic" number and know what skills they need (cash handling, customer service, ability to lift heavy objects), start talking to friends, family, and coworkers to see who is interested and ask them to pass the word along! Please remember your volunteers are usually the lifeblood of an event - snacks, beverages, and a few thank-yous go a long way to sustaining them during an event.
- Have fun - Your event to benefit UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is about supporting our patients and having FUN! You've put in so much time and effort; make sure you have a great time at the event!
- Collect the funds - We ask that all funds be forwarded to us within 60 days after your event.
If tax receipts are important to you and your participants, we are pleased to issue them within two weeks of receiving the required information from you. However, please discuss the need for tax receipts with us when you first start planning your event, as the UnityPoint Health Foundation is only able to issue them in accordance with IRS guidelines.
- Say thank you - Saying thank you is very important! Acknowledge everyone and tell them how much you appreciated their participation and/or support. They would also love to hear how much money was raised so they can be proud of the role they played, large or small.