PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency Program at Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Residency Purpose Statement
PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
Residency Program Overview
Pharmacists completing this residency will be able to provide proficient, confident, and compassionate medication-related care in both acute and ambulatory healthcare environments. Residents will be accountable for promoting safe and effective medication use and achieving optimal drug therapy outcomes as vital members of the healthcare team. These practitioners will develop skills in educating other healthcare professionals, patients, and community members on drug therapy-related topics and will gain experience in conducting pharmacy-practice related research. They will be proficient in managing all segments of the medication use process, from medication selection and product dispensing to drug therapy monitoring and medication administration. Residents will gain experience in leadership and mentorship while developing confidence, and independence. Experience gained during the residency year will prepare the resident to pursue a variety of interests including: PGY2 training, academia and clinical practice in either a hospital or clinic.
Practice Site Overview
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
UnityPoint Health – Des Moines (UPHDM) is a community health system that incorporates three hospitals and over 50 clinics to provide care for patients based in the Des Moines area. UnityPoint Health prioritizes coordinated, innovative healthcare while optimizing the patient experience. UnityPoint Health – Des Moines is comprised of Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center
Iowa Methodist Medical Center is a 450 bed comprehensive medical center and teaching hospital located in Des Moines, Iowa and is the primary teaching site for the residency program. This includes Blank Children's Hospital which is a stand-alone pediatric hospital located on the Iowa Methodist Medical Center campus specializing in neonatal and pediatric intensive care, pediatric hematology/oncology services as well as general pediatric care. Iowa Methodist Medical Center is a level I trauma center, one of two in the state of Iowa. The institution provides a wide variety of services, ranging from cancer care and short-term rehabilitation to cardiovascular surgery, renal transplant, stroke and maternity care. As a teaching hospital, Iowa Methodist Medical Center offers a variety of residency programs for new health care professionals including medical, pharmacy, podiatry & nursing residency programs.
Department of Pharmacy
The Department of Pharmacy at Iowa Methodist Medical Center includes a team of over 90 pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, support staff, and students. The Department of Pharmacy utilizes a decentralized model to ensure that pharmacists are readily accessible to patients and other members of the healthcare team. The pharmacy staff is well integrated within the health care team, participating in patient care rounds, providing pharmacy consult services, educating patients, performing medication reconciliation activities and offering experiential education opportunities to many central Iowa students. Pharmacists within the Department of Pharmacy at Iowa Methodist Medical Center are highly qualified and well respected within the institution. These pharmacists and technicians are committed to providing a great learning environment for both our students and residents.
Drake University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
Drake University is a mid-sized, private university located in Des Moines, IA. The university strives to provide students with an exceptional learning environment through collaborative learning, research opportunities, and community service. The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences offers a variety of programs in pharmacy, health sciences, occupational therapy, and athletic training. Iowa Methodist Medical Center partners with Drake University allowing pharmacy residents the opportunity to complete a teaching certificate, gain exposure to didactic teaching through course coordination, and develop their experiential teaching skills by assisting the preceptorship of Drake University pharmacy students on rotation at Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
The resident's training will be conducted primarily at Iowa Methodist Medical Center. However, nearby clinics and hospitals (all in Des Moines) may serve as practice sites depending on the goals of the resident and the program. Travel to Drake University, also in Des Moines, will be required for academic activities. More information on UnityPoint Health – Des Moines can be found at www.unitypoint.org.
Requirements for Successful Completion of Residency Program
The following requirements must be completed prior to the awarding of a residency certificate:
- Satisfactory completion of the following required rotations
- Department Orientation/Training
- Internal Medicine (6 weeks)
- Medical Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Pharmacy Management (4 weeks)
- General Pediatrics (4 weeks)
- Infectious Disease (4 weeks)
- Hospital Pharmacy Practice (Longitudinal – 11 months)
- Ambulatory Care (Longitudinal – 11 months)
- Medication Safety (Longitudinal – 4 months)
Clinical Management (Longitudinal – 4 months)
- Teaching Rotation (Longitudinal – 5 months)
- Elective rotations as required to complete residency year
- Elective Rotation Options:
- Trauma/Surgery (2-4 weeks)
- Oncology (4 weeks)
- Cardiology (4 weeks)
- Renal/Transplant (2-4 weeks)
- Emergency Medicine (2-4 weeks)
- Pediatric Intensive Care (4 weeks)
- Pediatric Infectious Disease (4 weeks)
- Ambulatory Care (2-4 weeks)
- Any required rotation may be repeated as an elective experience
- Completion of a residency research project. Including presentation at a regional residency conference and preparation of manuscript.
- Successful complete of the Evidence Based Medicine course offered through the Medical Consortium.
- Completion of the teaching certificate program through Drake University's College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
- Successful coordination/co-coordination of one elective course offered through Drake University.
- Completion of one Pharmacy Grand Rounds presentation.
- Eighty-five percent (85%) of goals and objectives scored as achieved for residency.
The resident will provide staffing one-half shift per week in the evening and two eight hour shifts every third weekend. The resident will also staff one major and one minor holiday. To compensate for staffing requirements the residents are allowed one comp day per 4 week rotation.
- Resident candidates shall be graduates of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited degree program (or one in process of pursuing accreditation) or have a Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Committee (FPGEC) certificate from the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP).
- Resident candidates shall be licensed to practice pharmacy in the state of Iowa or be eligible to obtain licensure by August 1st of the residency year.
- Resident candidates shall adhere to the rules of the resident matching program process.
- Resident candidates shall meet all other pre-employment requirements for UnityPoint Health Des Moines including but not limited to a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check.
Resident Matching Program
As an ASHP-Accredited site, this pharmacy residency program will participate in the ASHP residency matching process. Applicants must be enrolled in the match to be considered for this program. Our ASHP match number is: 153813. More information about the ASHP residency matching process may be obtained at: www.natmatch.com/ashprmp.
PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency Summary Information
Accreditation: ASHP Accredited
Program Code: 61500
ASHP Match #: 153813
# of Residents: 3
Hospital Size: 450 beds
# of Preceptors: 14
Staffing: Two eight hour shifts every third weekend, ½ shift/week
Vacation Days: 10
Health Benefits: yes
Other: Professional meeting attendance (ASHP Midyear & regional residency conference), 10 days PTO, paid holidays, medical/dental insurance & reference material stipend