Nurse Residency Program
Launching your nursing career is an exciting time, but it also can be a little frightening. That's why UnityPoint Health - Des Moines is strongly committed to its Nurse Residency Program, which ensures our nurses do not start their journey alone, but are instead nurtured every step of the way. Our program is designed to provide each RN with the tools necessary to deliver safe, effective and competent high-quality patient care.
- A 12-month program to smooth transition into practice.
- A series of thoughtfully developed classes that will enhance skills in critical thinking, assessment, leadership and clinical decision making.
- Participation in this program is a part of the regular work assignment. Nurse residents participate in monthly seminars over a 12-month period.
- Understanding that Evidence Based Practice is at the forefront of nursing excellence, participants will have the opportunity to identify, develop and implement an Evidence Based Project during their residency program.
- Classroom instruction specific to the clinical area using a focused case study approach to learning.
- Use of clinical simulation to foster effective critical thinking skills.
- Clinical Preceptorship under the guidance of an experience clinical coach.
- Ongoing continuing education and professional development opportunities.
- Dedicated nurse educators are available both during and following the program.
Our Preceptors are chosen specifically for this experience by their nurse manager, in collaboration with the Program Coordinator. They are provided training on the preceptor role.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- Successful completion of NCLEX
- Current Iowa RN License
- Copy of official transcripts
- Less than six months acute care work experience
- Two written professional references, one from a clinical instructor.
- Letter of intent that answers:
- What influenced you to pursue a career in nursing?
- Why are you interested in the RN Residency Program?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- An essay stating the two particular nursing departments you wish to work in and why.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply for "RN Registered Nurse Residency" using the online application.
Timeline for October 2014 Cohort
- Applications accepted June 9 - July 7.
- HR CORE Values Interviews continue through July 11.
- Residency applications screened July 14 - 18. (2 or 3 chosen for interviews per open position)
- Interviews scheduled July 21 - 25.
- Interviews conducted July 28 - August 8.
- Residents chosen and wait-listed August 11.
- Selected applicants notified and given one week to accept/decline August 13 - 20.
- Wait-listed applicants offered position if needed, given one week to accept/decline.
- Onboarding appointments September 8 - October 3
- Day One October 8
New graduates with an interest in specialty positions such as Critical Care, Emergency Nursing, Mother Baby, Children's Hospital, Surgical Services, Acute Rehabilitation and Behavioral Health should indicate their top two preferences in their letter of intent. Cohorts enter three times per year, February, July and October.
New RN graduates interested in Rehab positions are not eligible to participate in the Registered Nurse Residency program at this time. Please apply directly to those areas.
Applicants should mail or email a copy of their resume, two letters of recommendation, letter of intent and a copy of their current official transcript to:
Christine Clancy, MSN
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines
1415 Woodland, Ste. 152D
Des Moines, IA 50309