University of Iowa- Des Moines Internal Medicine Residency
The University of Iowa- Des Moines Internal Medicine Residency Program at UnityPoint Health has provided superb clinical training since 1976. Our residents benefit from dedicated faculty and a wide variety of rotations in an environment that emphasizes both academic excellence and collegiality. Our graduates are well prepared to enter competitive fellowship programs or private practice as general internists or hospitalists.
About Our Program
- Ten categorical and two preliminary year positions are offered in the match each year.
- Our principal teaching hospital is Iowa Methodist Medical Center, a private academic medical center.
- Residents will see a diverse patient population as they rotate through our two additional teaching venues: the VA Central Iowa Health Care System and Broadlawns Medical Center, a county hospital.
- Individual rotations (including international opportunities) are available on a case by case basis.
- Superior clinician/educators provide 1:1 teaching and excellent supervision, while ensuring that the resident takes on increasing responsibilities and exercises meaningful autonomy.
- Over 1/3 of residents enter fellowship
- Applications accepted only through ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service)
- J1 visas are sponsored, ECFMG certification is required to be considered for an interview
- 6 months of US clinical experience strongly preferred (observerships do not count, must be hands on experience)