Awards and Recognition
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines continually receives awards for outstanding patient care and for the role we play in our communities.
U.S. News and World Report names Iowa Lutheran #4 Hospital in Iowa
U.S. News & World Report has released its annual "Best Hospital" rankings and Iowa Lutheran Hospital was named the #4 hospital in Iowa. Both Iowa Lutheran and Iowa Methodist Medical Center were rated "high performing" for heart failure, in addition Iowa Lutheran was rated "high performing" in
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Data was sorted from nearly 5,000 hospitals and results from surveys of more than 140,000 physicians to rank the best centers, which cover complex care in 16 adult specialties from cancer to urology. To read the full report click here.
In addition, it is my pleasure to announce Iowa Lutheran Hospital has been awarded a full three year accreditation by Det Norske Veritas (DNV). By demonstrating compliance with DNV's national standards for health care quality and safety, Iowa Lutheran has earned the DNV's certification. Iowa Lutheran was the first hospital in Iowa to be ISO - 9001:2008 certified by Det Norske Veritas (DNV).
UnityPoint Health Recognized as Most Wired
UnityPoint Health was recognized for the third year in a row as one of the nation's "Most Wired Health Systems" by Hospitals & Health Networks magazine. UnityPoint Health received the honor for its adoption of technology designed to improve and coordinate patient care.
As health care delivery moves to a value-based system, UnityPoint Health remains focused on implementing technologies that allow for better use of data analytics, care coordination and population health management.
"At UnityPoint Health, we strive to deliver value to our patients. The Affordable Care Act results in participation in shared-savings programs, so we've worked to learn and manage new technologies and data," said Bill Leaver, President and CEO of UnityPoint Health. "Using data to then drive financial sustainability and better quality outcomes has allowed us to improve clinical and business workflow and overall create a better, more coordinated patient experience."
The Most Wired survey measures the adoption, implementation and use of information technology in U.S. hospitals and health systems across four focus areas: Infrastructure, Business and Administrative Management, Clinical Quality and Safety, and Clinical Integration. The survey also covers the evolution of new models and payment from the IT perspective.
John Stoddard Cancer Center Receives National Accreditation and Prestigious Award for Excellence.
The center has been granted a three-year full accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, a program administered by the American College of Surgeons. The center also received the 2013 Outstanding Achievement Award from the Commission on Cancer, which recognizes programs that strive for excellence in providing quality care to cancer patients. Stoddard was one of 74 cancer centers throughout the United States and the only Iowa cancer center to be recognized with the award.
UnityPoint Health Website Wins National Awards
Blue Compass Interactive, the UnityPoint Health website design firm based in West Des Moines, IA, has won five National Web Health Awards on behalf of UnityPoint Health for 2014. The awards include:
The Web Health Awards is a national program that recognizes the nation's best digital health resources. The Awards have been around for 16 years and is organized by the Health Information Resource Center, a 20-year old clearinghouse for professionals who work in consumer health fields.
Iowa Methodist Medical Center Recognized for Quality in Cardiac Care (2013)
Hospital among first to receive new designation for delivering quality and cost-efficient cardiac procedures
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield has named Iowa Methodist Medical Center as one of the first hospitals in the nation to receive a Blue Distinction Center Plus (+) designation in the area of cardiac care, as part of the Blue Distinction Centers for Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction Centers are hospitals shown to deliver quality specialty care based on objective, transparent measures for patient safety and health outcomes that were developed with the input from the medical community. This year, the national program has added a new designation level, Blue Distinction Center Plus (+), to recognize hospitals that deliver both quality and cost-efficient specialty care.
Iowa Lutheran Hospital is First Hospital in Iowa to Receive Quality Certification
Iowa Lutheran Hospital is the first hospital in Iowa to be ISO - 9001:2008 certified by Det Norske Veritas (DNV). According to the certificate, Iowa Lutheran Hospital has implemented a quality management system in accordance with ISO 9000.
"This certification is a cornerstone in the continuing effort to provide our patients with the best care and services available," said Eric Crowell, president and CEO, UnityPoint Health - Des Moines.
The scope of ISO 9000 certification includes: provider of health care services including acute medical, surgical, critical care, rehabilitative, obstetrical, emergency care, laboratory and radiology services.
Iowa Methodist, Iowa Lutheran and Methodist West Receive Blue Distinction Center Plus Designation for Quality (2013)
Blue Distinction designation helps consumers to identify high-performing hospitals
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield has named Iowa Methodist, Iowa Lutheran and Methodist West as a Blue Distinction Centers Plus (+). The Blue Distinction Centers for Specialty Care program is a national designation awarded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality specialty care - and has recently expanded to include more robust quality measures focused on improved patient health and safety as well as new cost-efficiency measures.
- Iowa Methodist was recognized Blue Distinction Center Plus (+) for Spine Surgery.
- Iowa Lutheran was recognized as Blue Distinction Center Plus (+) for Knee and Hip Replacement.
- Methodist West was recognized as Blue Distinction Center Plus (+) for Spine Surgery along with Knee and Hip Replacement.
UnityPoint Health Receives National Circle of Life Award
UnityPoint Health today was named a Circle of Life Award winner in recognition for its innovative palliative care program that improves the care of patients with serious or life-limiting conditions. UnityPoint Health is among eight organizations nationally who were recognized: three were named as award winners and five received citations of honor.
The Circle of Life Award celebrates innovative programs across the nation that have made great strides in palliative and end-of-life care. This is the fourteenth year for the Circle of Life Award.
UnityPoint Clinic Locations Earn National Recognition as Patient-Centered Medical Home
UnityPoint Clinic has been awarded recognition for the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Patient-Centered Medical Home 2011 Program at Des Moines-area clinics.
- Family Medicine and Physical Therapy at Altoona
- Family Medicine - Ankeny
- Family Medicine - Ankeny at Prairie Trail
- Family Medicine at Clarke County
- Family Medicine - Ingersoll
- Family Medicine - Merle Hay
- Family Medicine - Norwalk
- Family Medicine - Waukee
- Family Medicine - West Des Moines
UnityPoint Clinic is transforming its primary care practices to a medical home model to improve patient-centered, coordinated care for the patients and communities it serves. The NCQA Patient-Centered Medical Home 2011 standards emphasize the use of systematic care management that supports access, communication and patient involvement.
UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Receives Three Star Rating from UnitedHealth in Total Joint Replacement Care
Iowa Methodist Medical Center is pleased to announce it has received the designation of Three Stars, the highest possible rating, and has been named a UnitedHealth Premium Total Joint Replacement Specialty Center. Iowa Methodist is the only hospital in Iowa to receive the Three Star rating.
The UnitedHealth Premium Total Joint Specialty Center designation at Iowa Methodist will last for a twelve-month period. UnitedHealthcare developed the UnitedHealth Premium Specialty Center designation program to give its members information about, and access to, hospitals meeting rigorous quality criteria. The designation is based on detailed information about specialized training, practice capabilities and proficiencies that we submit to UnitedHealthcare and is designed to help consumers make informed decisions about where to seek total joint replacement care.
Blue Distinction Centers for Complex and Rare Cancers
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa has named the John Stoddard Cancer Center at Iowa Methodist Medical Center as a Blue Distinction Center for Complex and Rare Cancers.
"Receiving this national award is a special honor to the employees and physicians who work at John Stoddard Cancer Center and Iowa Methodist," said Dan Kollmorgen, M.D., FACS, surgical oncologist and medical director at John Stoddard Cancer Center. "This award reflects not only our dedication to providing quality healthcare to our patients but also to the time, effort, technology and coordination required to treat these unusual and complex tumors. We will continue to pursue opportunities that will allow us even higher standards of care for cancer patients."
Blue Distinction Centers for Complex and Rare Cancers are facilities within participating Blue Cross and Blue Shield network service areas that offer comprehensive inpatient cancer care programs for adults, delivered by multidisciplinary teams with subspecialty training and distinguished clinical expertise in treating the following complex and rare subtypes of cancer:
- Acute leukemia (inpatient/non-surgical)
- Bladder cancer
- Bone cancer
- Brain cancer - primary
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastric cancer
- Head and neck cancers
- Liver cancer
- Ocular melanoma
- Pancreatic cancer
- Rectal cancer
- Soft tissue sarcomas
- Thyroid cancer - medullary or anaplastic
The Blue Distinction Centers for Complex and Rare Cancers designation is focused primarily on multidisciplinary treatment planning and complex, major surgical treatments. The John Stoddard Cancer Center was chosen for having expertise in these complex and rare cancers: bladder; esophageal; gastric; pancreatic; and rectal.
HHS Recognizes Iowa Methodist Medical Center and Blank Children's Hospital with Medal of Honor for Outstanding Organ Donation
For the third year in a row, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has awarded Iowa Methodist Medical Center and Blank Children's Hospital a medal of honor for their outstanding rate of organ donation. Staff members from Iowa Methodist and Blank Children's were recognized with this award today during a special ceremony by the Iowa Donor Network.
The Department of Health and Human Services presents awards to the nation's largest hospitals for their success in increasing organ donation rates at their facilities. The Department's Medal of Honor for Organ Donation is awarded annually to hospitals with 75 percent conversion rates over a continuous 12-month period. Only 97 hospitals nationwide received the Medal of Honor three consecutive times.
Iowa Methodist and Blank Children's came from a pool of 716 hospitals that met eligibility criteria. This represented hospitals with eight or more potential organ donors during the 26-month award period ending in June 2007 who sustained a donation rate of 75 percent or more from among eligible donors for at least a year.
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City was also awarded with the Medal of Honor for its donation conversion rate above the national average of 75 percent and the triple crown for being above 75 percent conversion rate three years in a row. Four hospitals statewide were above the 75 conversion rate for a single year including Iowa Methodist, University Hospitals, Mercy in Des Moines and Sioux City.
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital and Methodist West Hospital each received Chest Pain Center Accreditation by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
- UnityPoint Clinic | Weight Loss is accredited by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery as a MBSAQIP Comprehensive Center for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. For this designation our program has demonstrated the ability and resources to provide high quality bariatric surgery with a dedicated multidisciplinary team providing lifelong follow up care for every type of bariatric procedure and complexity of patients. It requires reporting of long-term outcomes, constant quality improvement, and on-site inspection.
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center is verified by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) Committee on Trauma as a Level I Adult Trauma Center.
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Blank Children's Hospital and Methodist West Hospital are accredited by DNV. Our laboratories are accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP).
- Since 2010, Iowa Methodist Medical Center has been accredited by DNV as a Primary Stroke Center. For this designation, our stroke program has demonstrated the ability and resources to provide high-quality stroke care. Iowa Methodist Medical Center is in compliance with consensus-based national standards and effectively utilizes clinical practice guidelines to manage and optimize care.
- The Younker Rehabilitation Center is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
- The John Stoddard Cancer Center's programs are accredited by The American College of Surgeons.
- The Food & Drug Administration inspects our pharmacy services and blood bank. The blood bank also receives an annual inspection from the American Association of Blood Banks.
- The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology reviews our Level 3 Perinatal Center.
- The Iowa Department of Public Health (Nuclear Regulatory Agency) inspects Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Radiation Oncology.
- Human Subjects Protections Program has been accredited by the Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protections Programs (AAHRPP).
- Medicare inspections are held for our skilled care beds (TCU), chemical dependency unit, rehab, pharmacy and behavioral health.
- Our residency programs are affiliated with the University of Iowa for Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics and Family Practice.