Eat Well LiveWell: Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Per the USDA, July is National Blueberry Month! Why is there is a whole month devoted to blueberries? Because July is peak harvest season for this super food! While all fruits and vegetables can be considered super foods, blueberries are especially deserving of this title because they are a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! Blueberries get their deep blue/purple color from these powerful antioxidants, which help reduce our risk of cancer, heart disease and even cognitive decline as we age.
Blueberries are also low in calories and high in fiber, which means they can help keep us full without packing a high-calorie punch. So now is the time to grab some blueberries from your local grocery store or farmers market, and throw together these whole grain muffins! Using whole grain flour and oats, combined with Greek yogurt and applesauce, make these muffins a healthy and tasty treat! Delicious and nutritious.
Whole Grain Blueberry Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 25 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup instant whole-grain hot cereal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup non-fat vanilla-flavored Greek-style yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners.
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Stir sugar, applesauce, yogurt, egg, and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into applesauce mixture until just combined. Fold blueberries into batter. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
141 Calories, 3.6g Protein, 1g Fat, 31g Carbohydrates, 2.6g Fiber, 35mg Sodium