3 year olds / Fireflies
Peggy Cokely - has been part of the staff at the Center since 2010. She graduated from Iowa State University with a BS in Child Development. She has many years of experience working with infants through school age children. Peggy has also worked with special education classes and has served as a center director. Peggy currently lives in Clive and has two children.
||Rhonda Leslie - has her AS in Early Childhood Education from Des Moines Area Community College. She has had years of experience working with all ages of children including being an assistant director, and owner/director. She enjoys motorcycle trips with her family and friends during the summer months and spending time with her children whenever she has free time.
| || Autumn |
Things you need to know about the Fireflies area:
Our child to staff ratio is one adult for every eight children. There are two rooms in the area and the group size in each room is two teachers with 16 children.
During meal times, the children begin to serve themselves family style, rather than having everything served to them. Fireflies become fully independent in the bathroom and are supervised, but no bathroom charts are recorded. Fireflies brush teeth after breakfast and lunch.
We use learning centers in our curriculum and continue to track children's development using the portfolio system.
The following objectives have been set for this area:
- Play well in groups, using words to verbalize feelings, keeping hands and feet to ourselves, especially during group time and stories.
- Making a choice when asked.
- Put on own socks and shoes and dress themselves by putting on a coat, shirt, etc.
- Toileting skills are mastered.
- Physical skills including hopping, riding a trike and throwing and catching a ball.
- Children are also introduced to tracing, stencils and working with scissors to further develop fine motor skills.
- Intellectually, we work on colors, shapes, counting as well as introducing numbers and letters.
- Ability to answer open-ended questions and expand upon story-telling.
General Schedule for the Day
6:00 Center Opens/Free Play
8:45 Breakfast/Brush Teeth/Bathroom
9:00 Center/Activities/Group Time
9:15 Outside Time/Gym Time
11:30 Lunch/Brush Teeth/Bathroom
3:15 Outside Time/Gym Time
5:30 Closing and Free Play
Child Care Plan for 3 year olds