About This ProviderPrint
Shawn Spooner, MD, FAAFP is board-certified in Sports Medicine and Family Medicine. Here are some additional career highlights for Dr. Spooner:
- Dr. Spooner received his medical degree from the University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine.
- He completed his residency in Family Medicine with the U.S. Navy at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton and then went on to complete advanced training with a fellowship in Sports Medicine.
- Has practiced operational military and sports medicine with the U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Navy and U.S. Army Special Forces. Experience includes overseas work in Korea and Afghanistan.
- Has experience in performance medicine. Dr. Spooner currently provides his services to many Des Moines area sports teams including: Chow's Gymnastics & Dance, ADM High School, Grandview University and the Des Moines Buccaneers.
- Research interests include injury risk prediction and prevention, post-concussion care and recovery. Has studied and published work on post-concussion recovery, balance screening and the effect of exercise on human immune response to illness.
- Certified to administer the formal Functional Movement Screen (FMS), an injury risk prediction tool. Works with athletes and active individuals to prevent injury through proactive corrective exercise.
- Administers the FUSIONETICS athlete performance system, a program designed to prevent injury, enhance recovery and maximize performance.
- Is a certified/licensed level III US Cycling Coach.
- Learn more about our Sports Medicine services at UnityPoint Clinic
Sports Medicine, Urgent Care, Convenient Care and Walk In
Areas of Interest
Exercise, Nutrition, Sports Medicine