A Mayo Clinic Care Network Member
An Extraordinary Relationship
In May, 2014, UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids announced its membership in the Mayo Clinic Care Network becoming the first health system in Iowa to be selected as a member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, having passed a rigorous review process based on quality, service and operational criteria.
As part of the Mayo Clinic Care Network, UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids physicians have the ability to access Mayo's clinical resources and collaborate with Mayo specialists, ensuring that patients can benefit from Mayo knowledge and expertise locally and only need to travel outside the region for care when necessary. The statistics show the value to patients:
- 21 patients each month receive a Mayo eConsult without leaving their doctor
- The cost to the patient is $0
- Providers have used "Ask Mayo Expert" 3,805 to access Mayo Clinic knowledge
- Consultations were reviewed by more than 270 Mayo experts.
What does this mean for our patients?
These patients were able to access Mayo Clinic specialists without a long road trip, spending money on hotels or gas. They didn't have to transfer medical records or leave the care of their local doctor. Yet they received the peace of mind for their medical condition.
What is the Mayo Clinic Care Network?
- The Mayo Clinic Care Network is a non-ownership, contractual relationship between UnityPoint Health - Cedar Rapids and Mayo Clinic. Through the network physicians can collaborate and deepen their relationship to improve the delivery of healthcare to our patients and communities.
- Network member physicians and providers have access to Mayo Clinic resources, including tools to promote physician-to-physician consultations and a point-of-care database of best-practice information on disease management, care guidelines, treatment recommendations and reference materials.