Do you have a child that's interested in babysitting and caring for their brothers & sisters or other children? Smart Sitter class can help them become better prepared for this experience.
Our Smart Sitter Class is a FREE educational program designed for boys and girls 10 years of age or older who want to learn how to be excellent babysitters and shows parents that this is a responsibility they take very seriously. This class is for not only for beginning babysitters but also for those young people who have already done a little babysitting.
Class members will learn:
- Responsibilities of a babysitter
- Basic childcare for all ages
- Childhood development
- How to handle common every day accidents and emergencies
- Guidelines for safe play
- Practice choking techniques for infants and children and review "hands only" CPR techniques.
The class begins with “checking in” from 8:30-8:45 am and class goes until 3:00 pm. For the class, each child needs to bring with them for the class:
- Sack lunch and beverage for the lunch break
- A doll or stuffed animal that is 14-16 inches long for practicing burping & holding positions, diapering and swaddling infants.
On the day of class, we have the American Heart Association’s "Friends & Family CPR" booklet available to purchase for $3.00. This booklet is totally optional and not required to purchase for the class.
For more information send an e-mail to the Birth Care Education office or call (319) 369-7166 to leave a voice message.