Purpose and Audience:
To train physicians, nurses, and paramedic personnel on the current concepts in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) as defined by the American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines. Participants must complete all parts to receive a PALS Provider card.
This eLearning course is the self-directed online portion of HeartCode PALS blended learning, which is followed by a hands-on session for skills practice and testing.
HeartCode PALS is a comprehensive program that uses a series of videos and simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, basic life support, PALS treatment algorithms, effective resuscitation, and team dynamics. Using eSimulation technology, students can assess and treat patients in virtual healthcare settings. In this environment, students also apply their knowledge to real-time decision-making and skills development. Debriefings and coaching are provided immediately after each simulation to facilitate learning.
Part 1: completed online using interactive case-based micro-simulation technology.
Parts 2 & 3: skills practice and testing by a PALS Instructor at Blank Children's Hospital.
- Go to the American Heart Association website at onlineaha.org (this program is PC & Mac compatible).
- Find the course titled HeartCodeÒ PALS Part 1 and click "Add to Cart".
- Complete the online registration and pay by credit card.
- Complete the PALS Course online, including achieving a score of 84% or higher on the course exam (Access to this program will be available for 24 months from the initial license activation).
- Print the HeartCodeÒ Certificate of Completion and bring to the skills testing.
PARTS 2 & 3
- Register for your skills evaluation and testing with Blank Children's Hospital.
- A PALS Provider card will be issued after the successful completion of Parts 2 & 3.
Continuing Education Credit:
Continuing education credit (CEU or CEH) is provided by AHA upon successful completion of the computer portion of this course. No continuing education will be awarded from Blank Children's Hospital for the skills portion of this course.
A PALS Provider card will be issued after successful completion of all portions of this course. Expiration of the verification will occur two years from the date of issue.
$132 HeartCodeÒ PALS Part 1 at onlineaha.org (separate online credit card payment to AHA)
$100 skills testing and evaluation at Center for Advocacy and Outreach, Blank Children's Hospital
A processing fee of $30 will be retained for cancellations less than 5 business days prior to the skills portion of this course.
Participants more than 10 minutes late will not be permitted to enter the class.
Blank Children's Hospital
Center for Advocacy and Outreach, Lower Level Anna Blank Building
1200 Pleasant Street
Des Moines, IA 50309
View the course flyer here.
Jessica Dinh at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-241-3537
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.