History of Heart Care Leaders
The Heart and Vascular Institute builds on our long history of being a leader and innovator in heart care excellence. Our history of heart care at UnityPoint Health Cedar Rapids:
- 1966 - Cardiac Care Unit opened
- 1978 - First and only Cedar Rapids hospital to offer open-heart surgery
- 1983 - First Cedar Rapids Cardiac Rehabilitation program established
- 1995 - First Cedar Rapids hospital to offer cardiac stents
- 2000 - Nassif Heart Center opened
- 2002 - First Iowa hospital to introduce the hypothermia protocol for cardiac arrest patients
- 2004 - Named a Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital for the first time
- 2006 - Transition to Home program for heart failure patients began
- 2007 - First Cedar Rapids hospital to perform patent foramen ovale (PFO)/atrial septal defect (ASD) closure
- 2009 - Cardiologists, L.C. joins St. Luke's Hospital
- 2010 - Received full accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) from the Society of Chest Pain Centers
- 2013 - One of three hospitals in the world using a high-resolution electrophysiology (EP) catheter
- 2013 - Cardiologists, L.C. changes its name to UnityPoint Clinic Cardiology and opens in the Physicians' Clinic of Iowa Medical Pavilion
- 2013 - St. Luke's receives full accreditation from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- 2014 - First in Cedar Rapids to use the Artic Front Advance Cardiac Cryoballoon System
- 2014 - St. Luke's develops a program for treating chronic coronary disease; chronic total occlusions (CTO)
- 2015 - Heart & Vascular Institute established
- 2016 - First in Iowa to perform VenaSeal, a new minimally invasive treatment option for varicose veins at UnityPoint Clinic Cardiology in Cedar Rapids - the VenaSeal™ closure system.
2016 - transcatheter aortic valve replacement, or TAVR, this procedure offers hope for heart patients with inoperable aortic stenosis. A multi-disciplinary team of physicians from UnityPoint Clinic Cardiology and Physicians' Clinic of Iowa Surgical Specialists will be the first in Cedar Rapids to offer this heart valve replacement procedure at. St. Luke's.
Additionally UnityPoint Health Cedar Rapids has been named a top cardiovascular hospital by six times in the last ten years and made the Becker's Hospital Review list of "100 Hospitals With Great Heart Programs" and again in 2013, received full accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with PCI from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care.
These national, independent organizations recognized UnityPoint Health Cedar Rapids' quality of care, which has fewer complications, better outcomes and higher survival rates. Hospitals cannot pay to be included on these lists.