At Blank Children's Hospital, and the UnityPoint Health - Des Moines Hospitals, we have more than 6,000 volunteers who give more than 139,000 hours of time each year. These volunteers give of their time in our hospitals, or through projects in the community that benefit our hospitals. Volunteers, truly make a difference at Blank Children's Hospital and UnityPoint Health - Des Moines!
Process to become a volunteer:
Individuals who wish to volunteer on an ongoing basis must be able to commit to a 6 month period, serving in a weekly placement. Students must be willing to commit to a weekly placement for two semesters.
Information meetings for prospective volunteers are held regularly throughout the year.
- Individual must be age 18 or older. 18 year-olds need to be in college; no high school students.
- Attend information meeting.
- Pass health screen (TB test and provide proof of immunizations - specifically 2 MMR vaccines if born 1/1/1957 or after).
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Get a photo ID badge.
- Attend group volunteer training and any other training specific to position.