The pediatric social workers at Blank Children's Hospital are an important part of the health care team. Our professionals work with patients, families and staff in inpatient and outpatient areas. Our social workers are compassionate listeners, problem solvers, mediators, counselors and advocates. We offer support and methods for coping with difficult issues. We help to reduce barriers to improve health and optimize functioning. We assist others in making the best use of available resources.
Social workers offer supportive services that include:
- Assessment of patients and families to identify strengths and immediate needs.
- Connection of the patient and family with available resources.
- Emotional support related to illness, treatment and recovery.
- Assistance with communication among the patient, family, health care team and greater community.
- Crisis intervention.
- Referrals for emergency services.
- Grief counseling.
- Advocacy on behalf of patients and families.
- Communication and coordination of discharge planning issues with the health care team.