Jones Regional Medical Center's respiratory care department provides services relating to breathing difficulties and lung illnesses. The seven respiratory therapists at Jones Regional serve both inpatient and outpatient needs. A respiratory therapist is on site at the hospital at all times. All respiratory therapists at Jones Regional are:
- Nationally Registered and licensed by the state of Iowa
- CPR certified
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support certified
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support certified
Respiratory therapists help with many illnesses and emergencies, including:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Heart attacks
If you're at Jones Regional as an emergency department patient, inpatient, or outpatient, you may have a respiratory therapist help you if you have any breathing concerns. Doctors may refer patients to a respiratory therapist for several reasons. At Jones Regional, our respiratory care department provides the following services:
- Complete pulmonary function testing (PFT), a test to help diagnose respiratory problems such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This service can include, if ordered by your physician, the use of methacholine, a special drug sometimes used with PFTs.
- Overnight oximetry screening, a test to show the amount of oxygen in your blood while you sleep that helps determine the need for sleep apnea testing.
- Help with improving capacity in your airway or lungs
- Care for a tracheostomy (an opening through the neck into the windpipe through which a breathing tube may be inserted)
- Oxygen therapy for those that need more oxygen
- Medication delivery using nebulizers and inhalers
- BiPAP, a piece of equipment that helps patients get more air into their lungs
- Oximetry, a measurement that monitors the amount of oxygen in your blood
- Chest physical therapy (CPT), which helps mobilize and remove secretions in the lungs
- Arterial blood gas tests (blood tests for oxygen, carbon dioxide, and pH levels)
- Referrals to help quit smoking
All testing and services can be scheduled by calling the Jones Regional Respiratory Care at (319) 975 - 0540. Scheduling is flexible and based on patient needs.